MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Message Board How-Tos (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Which Entries to Avoid? (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10097)

Oceangirl 05-14-2006 12:35 PM

Which Entries to Avoid?

I'm thinking of Freebies and Sweeps. I'm a newbie in this. Many sites ask your email address before they tell you they are asking for an arm and a leg, with page after page of questions.. I gleaned from someone at BB that if the site is NOT the actual producer of products offered...it might not be a good idea to give information. I need do's and don'ts so I don't get even more tons of emails and mail I don't need. Some of course is expected. Anyone up to this? Thanks in advance.

lindsey-star 05-14-2006 03:16 PM

Get a free e-mail adress from Yahoo or Hotmail and use it for all your freebie entires...then all the junk will go there, and your real e-mail will be clean! wavesmiley

Krissy 05-14-2006 05:51 PM

Thats what many people do, set up a seperate email for just freebies, You may also want to use a phone number that's not yours. Alot of people use this site
rejectionhotline.com

emtluvs2cook 05-14-2006 06:15 PM

:thumbsup: Sometimes, but not always, the # for information works as well.

1- your area code here- 555 -1212

This is what I use because the rejection hotline doesn't have a number available for my area code.

Nan 05-14-2006 08:40 PM

Many times there will be an * at the end of the title. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, it will tell you (in VERY small print) that participation is required. You can also check the "terms and agreements" for the contest or freebie. This should be on the opening page. You will start to recognize many of the so-called free sites after you have seen a few of them! Good luck!

Oceangirl 05-14-2006 08:44 PM

Spam Avoidance at the SOURCE

My question was not so much how to get rid of spam once it's sent.... it is with stopping it before it begins i.e. AVOIDING the sites which are the culprits. I wish to know what site characteristics are guaranteed trouble to subscribe to, i.e. prolific spam sources. speechless

Lori Ann 05-14-2006 09:26 PM

We also have a "sticky" at chit-chat "Freebie Resources..." you might want to skim through it as there is more than one topic. The link is below ..wavesmiley

http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36892&postcount=1

Lori :happysmiley: Ann

PM me any time if you need more help or have questions ..:thumbsup:

Oceangirl 07-02-2006 10:55 AM

Follow-up re giving out phone number

I've put my info down on what seems like hundreds of 'registration' forms for freebies and sweepstakes since I joined in late April. In over two months I've only received 3 phone calls as a result.

SLance68 07-02-2006 11:40 AM

Avoid the following website - every once in a while someone will list it on a freebie board for free chocolate. It is a spam site and they will wear your e-mail address out. www.kcweb.com

I have been doing freebies and contests for over 7 years and have only received 1 phone call from a lady needing to know what size dog I had so she could send the correct size dog treats. If I am leary of a site I will use a junk aol e-mail address I have and list my dog's name. Hey her name is Amber and she does get a lot of mail now. The best one was when she received a offer for a PRE Approved Platinum Visa card - do you know how stupid the people felt when I called and told them it was a dog they had preapproved.

Wanted to add - If it tells you that you have to "complete" one of the offers to get something - Get out of there - it is just spam waiting to happen. My boss got into one of those things because he was going to "get him a free John Deere Lawn Tractor" needless to say I had to change his e-mail address and have the old one removed from our account. He now will ask me before he attempts to get anything free. I told him to just leave it to the experts and not try to get free stuff on his own.

Missy 07-03-2006 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLance68
Avoid the following website - every once in a while someone will list it on a freebie board for free chocolate. It is a spam site and they will wear your e-mail address out. www.kcweb.com

I have been doing freebies and contests for over 7 years and have only received 1 phone call from a lady needing to know what size dog I had so she could send the correct size dog treats. If I am leary of a site I will use a junk aol e-mail address I have and list my dog's name. Hey her name is Amber and she does get a lot of mail now. The best one was when she received a offer for a PRE Approved Platinum Visa card - do you know how stupid the people felt when I called and told them it was a dog they had preapproved.

Wanted to add - If it tells you that you have to "complete" one of the offers to get something - Get out of there - it is just spam waiting to happen. My boss got into one of those things because he was going to "get him a free John Deere Lawn Tractor" needless to say I had to change his e-mail address and have the old one removed from our account. He now will ask me before he attempts to get anything free. I told him to just leave it to the experts and not try to get free stuff on his own.

thanks for the info