MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feedback (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kisses questionable (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53655)

bikermommarn 12-14-2007 07:18 PM

Kisses questionable

I just got my case of 12 Hershey's giant kisses for 19.99. They are leftovers Easter, marked as such on the box, so I question how good they are...Haven't opened one. Does anyone know shelf life on Chocolate?i dunno

sweetsabra 12-15-2007 03:58 PM

From what I can find with a google search, the shelf life of chocolate is about a year. After that, it may suffer flavor loss.

Kelly 12-16-2007 08:51 PM

if you open one up you can tell if the dark color starts to fade to a lighter brown color, also it will flake off.................

pepper60 02-25-2008 07:00 PM

There should be a sell by date on the box...required by law.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't eat any - they are more then 6 months old!

Modemouth 02-25-2008 07:03 PM

I freeze chocolate that is on sale and keep in in my freezer about a year.

The shelf life of chocolate is generally a year. Ingredients such as nuts will shorten the shelf life. Chocolate kept beyond 1 year may suffer flavor loss or texture changes.

Can chocolate be frozen?
It is not recommended to freeze Filled Centered product, Lindor Truffles, and Liquid Filled Bars. However, other varieties can be frozen up to several months. Place the entire package into a sealed Freezer Bag. When ready to consume, allow the chocolate to slowly thaw by placing the bag in the refrigerator (6 hours). Once thawed in the refrigerator, slowly bring the product up to room temperature (2 hours, 65 F). Never re-freeze chocolate once it has thawed. Freezing chocolate can increase its shelf-life by 50%.

What is that white stuff on my chocolate?
Chocolate contains cocoa butter, a vegetable fat that is sensitive to heat and humidity. Temperatures above 75 degrees will cause chocolate to melt. The cocoa butter can rise to the surface and form a grayish discoloration called "cocoa butter bloom." Condensation on milk or semi-sweet chocolate may cause sugar to dissolve and rise to the surface as "sugar bloom." Neither "bloom" affects the quality or flavor of chocolate.

pepper60 02-25-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modemouth (Post 410249)
I freeze chocolate that is on sale and keep in in my freezer about a year.

The shelf life of chocolate is generally a year. Ingredients such as nuts will shorten the shelf life. Chocolate kept beyond 1 year may suffer flavor loss or texture changes.

Can chocolate be frozen?
It is not recommended to freeze Filled Centered product, Lindor Truffles, and Liquid Filled Bars. However, other varieties can be frozen up to several months. Place the entire package into a sealed Freezer Bag. When ready to consume, allow the chocolate to slowly thaw by placing the bag in the refrigerator (6 hours). Once thawed in the refrigerator, slowly bring the product up to room temperature (2 hours, 65 F). Never re-freeze chocolate once it has thawed. Freezing chocolate can increase its shelf-life by 50%.

What is that white stuff on my chocolate?
Chocolate contains cocoa butter, a vegetable fat that is sensitive to heat and humidity. Temperatures above 75 degrees will cause chocolate to melt. The cocoa butter can rise to the surface and form a grayish discoloration called "cocoa butter bloom." Condensation on milk or semi-sweet chocolate may cause sugar to dissolve and rise to the surface as "sugar bloom." Neither "bloom" affects the quality or flavor of chocolate.

I freeze chocolates, too. But not white chocolate...tastes funny after being frozen...at least to me it does.

Kelly 02-27-2008 11:43 AM

chocolate is best when frozen

grams1952 08-05-2008 07:26 PM

I Put Candy Bars In The Freezer So I Can Break Of A Piece At A Time... I Love To Let It Melt In My Mouth