MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reminder- 3 Easter Items dangerous to your pets! (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61437)

SNOWBEAR3 03-22-2008 05:52 AM

Reminder- 3 Easter Items dangerous to your pets!
 
Happy Easter!

As many of you get together with family and friends to celebrate Easter there will be lots of good food, chocolate bunnies, Easter eggs and many other festive decorations.

Did you know that there is a traditional Easter decoration that can be very dangerous to both dogs and cats?

Well there is. The biggest Easter danger to dogs is toxicity from Easter Lily ingestion. Eating Easter Lilies can cause kidney failure and be fatal (it is more dangerous to cats but can also affect dogs). So keep your dogs (and especially your cats away) from Easter Lilies (I don't even bring them into my home).

There are a couple of other Easter dangers that you should be aware of: chocolate and the plastic grass in the Easter basket.

1. Chocolate can be toxic in large amounts - especially the baking chocolate. Even small amounts can cause nausea and vomiting in some dogs.

2. Another dangerous item in the Easter basket is the plastic grass. The grass is not digestible and can cause a gastrointestinal "obstruction" that can be life-threatening

Keep the pets safe and enjoy the Holiday!

Christine 03-22-2008 07:36 AM

thanks.........

MagiePerdu 03-22-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNOWBEAR3 (Post 429051)
Happy Easter!

. . .

1. Chocolate can be toxic in large amounts - especially the baking chocolate. Even small amounts can cause nausea and vomiting in some dogs.

. . .

Keep the pets safe and enjoy the Holiday!

A few years ago, my dear, sweet Taz-puppy (afghan hound. . .very tall dog) almost died from eating chocolate. I had been baking and left the dark cooking chocolate on the counter. I guess Taz could smell it, 'cause it had disappeared when I got home. I couldn't figger where it had gone and decided I had yet again just simply lost my mind. Soon, though, Nala's nose got REAL pink, and she started acting VERY weird and throwing up. I took her to the vet and the vet asked if I'd been feeding her chocolate. It still didn't click right away, but then I soon had a D'OH moment and realized Nala had eaten all that chocolate!! When I 'fessed up to the vet, she said I was very lucky not to have lost Nala!

Thank you for the timely reminder to WATCH THAT CHOCOLATE, Irene.

grams1952 03-22-2008 08:37 PM

I have read that white chocolate isn't dangerous for dogs.. pets in general/. But do know that chocolate is very dangerous for animals. I hope ev1 keeps their pets safe...hugs,

Dru15 03-22-2008 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

tressa_4 03-23-2008 12:49 AM

Thanks Mary! I don't like Easter Lilies, remembered about the chocolate but completely forgot about the fake grass.

My cats and dog & I appreciate the reminder.

mom2acat 03-23-2008 10:13 AM

Thank you!

bikerbabe 03-23-2008 02:04 PM

Yes..Thank you..knew about the Chocolate also
and certain plant`s but not the grass

Modemouth 04-05-2009 12:19 PM


beanie 04-05-2009 02:09 PM

yup, gotta keep this stuff in mind, and let visitors (especially with kids) know, so they dont feed your pet something


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:15 AM.