MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Recipe Swap (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best French Onion Soup I have ever made (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814)

Modemouth 02-04-2006 07:55 AM

Best French Onion Soup I have ever made

FRENCH ONION SOUP

"Thick slices of French bread are toasted in the oven and placed on top of each bowl of rich onion soup. Slices of Swiss cheese are melted over the toast."

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter
3 onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup red wine ( I didn't have any)
2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed
beef broth
1 French baguette or thick bread
8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese or Parm. Regg.

DIRECTIONS:
1.Melt butter or margarine in a 4 quart saucepan. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.2.Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices. Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.3.Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) just until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.4.Ladle soup into four 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.5.Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted

Christine 02-17-2006 02:37 PM

Yummy! I haven't made soup in a long time. I am going to make this one though:heartssmile:

Erin46 02-17-2006 06:52 PM

Fantastic

clapping I've been looking for a great French Onion Soup for awhile. Can't wait to try this. Thanks :heartssmile:

Lori Ann 02-17-2006 10:58 PM

Elegant and simple....I'm going to start calling you the Martha Stewart of the forum, lol

Lori Ann:thumbsup:

Modemouth 02-18-2006 03:13 AM

:D Cooking and shopping are two of my favorite things. I love to cook now that I don't HAVE to. When hubby says he is hungry I can just point him in the direction of the kitchen...:grinning-smiley-022

I am making this today. It is so cold outside...a day for hot soup!

Kelly 03-25-2006 06:26 AM

french onion soup is my favoriteclapping
this will definitely be my next project
thank you:happysmiley:

Kelly 09-18-2008 07:19 AM

going to buy the ingredients to make this tonight. do i just use red cooking wine or do i have to buy a bottle of wine at the liquor store?

ashbabe 09-18-2008 09:16 AM

Cooking wine is loaded with salt Kelly.. so I advise against using it if you can.. just get a cheap bottle of wine in the supermarket :)

Mary, I've gotta try this over the weekend.. I'm gonna do it in the crockpot :)

Modemouth 09-18-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly (Post 558727)
going to buy the ingredients to make this tonight. do i just use red cooking wine or do i have to buy a bottle of wine at the liquor store?

Cooking wine is YUCK and salty. I don't even know why they try to sell the stuff.

Ash...I am so honored a real chef is trying some of my tried n true recipes. speechlesssmilie

ashbabe 09-18-2008 03:05 PM

They told us in school never to cook with anything you wouldn't drink.. I don't drink, but when need cooking wine I just get a cheapo bottle at the supermarket, lol.

Mary, I'm honored that you post these wonderful recipes for us all to try :D