MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Healthy Living (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Aging with Attitude: Not Getting Older, Getting Better (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85073)

Christine 04-05-2009 11:06 AM

Aging with Attitude: Not Getting Older, Getting Better

People Take You Seriously
One of the hardest things about being young is that many people donít take you seriously and one of the greatest things about getting older is that eventually, that stops. Itís not always fair, but to some older people, anyone under twenty-five is a spring-break miscreant whoís incapable of making mature decisions. Once youíre safely ensconced in your late twenties or thirties, you have a wealth of experiences and people start treating you like a woman in charge of her own destiny.
When I was in my early twenties, I felt like people were constantly trying to put one over on me, charging me more for things and hassling me in ways that they never would have hassled someone older. Itís common for people to assume that young women are naÔve, but once youíre past that dewy phase, they give you the benefit of the doubt and donít second-guess your abilities.
No Pressure to Be Trendy
I used to go clothes shopping and feel pressured into buying all the latest hot-this-minute trends. I begrudgingly wore platform flip-flops, miniskirts, purple mascara, and all sorts of unflattering monstrosities because, well, I thought I had to. One of the best things about getting older? No one expects you to look nineteen anymore and itís pointless to try. Women donít have to start wearing muumuus and orthopedic shoes as soon as we age out of the MTV demographic, but it becomes totally acceptable to buy whatís comfortable and makes you feel good, instead of what all the other kids are wearing. Sometimes thatís the latest bag or hottest hairstyle, but sometimes itís just a nice plain sweater. Once you hit a certain age, itís okay to opt out of trends you donít like or that wonít flatter your body type. I remember the first time I walked into an Abercrombie & Fitch and realized ďIím too old for this store.Ē It felt great and Iíve happily not been back since.
Creeps Look the Other Way
As a younger woman, I felt constantly subjected to unwanted stares, catcalls, and comments from construction workers, homeless men, and other random weirdos. These days, I rarely get catcalled anymore and I love it. The taunts werenít about attractiveness; the creeps were just exploiting my defenselessness. Once you hit a certain age, you lose that. Now, instead of projecting an image of youthful vulnerability, my attitude says ďSave it, loser. Iím over this.Ē
Friendships Get Better
I like to think of my friendships as fine handbagsóonce the leather breaks in and burnishes, they are more beautiful and interesting than anything brand new. My best friends and I have so much more fun now that weíre older, mainly because thereís so much more going on in our lives. Now that weíre all approaching thirty, we have kids, husbands, mortgages, jobs, and years of great memories to talk and laugh about. One of my friends lives on a farm in the Sierras and when I go to visit, we spend the whole day feeding chickens and laughing at the pygmy goats. We have a better time doing farm chores than we ever did going to bars.
Youíve Figured Out Who You Are
My best friend Katie has a theory about women and getting older. She believes all women change at twenty-five. No matter what happened before then, thatís when a woman knows who she is and what she stands for, and she starts becoming the woman she wants to be. Iíd always thought I had it all figured out, but sure enough, at around twenty-five, I began to reevaluate my life and saw other girls my age going through the exact same process. It took a few years, but eventually I went back to school, made a huge career switch, and moved across the country. Do I regret the aimless wanderings of my early twenties? Absolutely not. But I have learned a lot more about myself since then and now I feel like Iím finally living the life I want.
Sometimes, one of the hardest things about getting older is that there are fewer ďfirsts.Ē Youíve had your first kiss, your first breakup, your first job, your first job ending, and the newness of adulthood has worn off. What youíre left with, however, is an abundance of knowledge about yourself and about life, resulting in the ability to make infinitely better decisions. Once youíve had one crummy job, you can recognize them a mile away, and you wonít mistakenly take one again. Once youíve had a crummy boyfriend, you know what traits can ruin a relationship.
My twenties are almost over now and every so often I do get nostalgic for my carefree and idealistic younger self. Then I snap out of it and realize that I like myself a lot better at twenty-nine. Being twenty-two wasnít really that much fun after all and Iím glad itís over. One of my favorite Bob Dylan songs puts it best: ďI was so much older then Ö Iím younger than that now.Ē