MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's on your Turkey-Day Menu? (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91422)

MagiePerdu 11-17-2009 12:20 AM

What's on your Turkey-Day Menu?

OK, I'm officially stressed. There's just the 2 of us and the traditional Thanksgiving feast generally gets wasted, even if we share or invite a few people over and load them up with leftovers to take home. The S.O. gets upset at "wasting" so much food and money. Sometimes we just pack it all up in the fridge and wait for it to go bad so we can throw it away with a less guilty conscience!

We've eaten out a time or 2, but it just doesn't seem like a real Thanksgiving to me! He doesn't like Marie Callendars (I LOVE it!) or the cafeteria and other eat-out type options are severely holiday-handicapped. I've decied to try making just a turkey breast and a couple of legs, homemade cranberry relish, smashed potatoes, a veggie and dessert and forego all the other sides and yummies. It still seems to be a less than spectacular menu, but at least we won't have to feel guilty about either consuming it ALL or NOT consuming it all! i dunno I've been freakin' LOSING SLEEP over how to deal with the menu this year!

What's everyone else doing?

Nan 11-17-2009 12:27 AM

Well, I have no clue. We might make some turkey sandwiches with all the fixin's, :0party0021: get a bottle of Maker's Mark and watch movies all day!:beerchug::drinking53:

I think you should eat whatever food you are thankful for. Are you thankful for grilled cheese? ribeyes? sushi? Then I think that's what you should eat. Start your own tradition!clapping

MagiePerdu 11-17-2009 12:37 AM

Heh...I'm thankful for turkey sammies!! THAT'S why I gotta have a turkey breast (at a minimum) on Thanksgiving. . .so that Friday afternoon I can have my sammich (even without the dressing)! :D

Nan 11-17-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagiePerdu (Post 791277)
Heh...I'm thankful for turkey sammies!! THAT'S why I gotta have a turkey breast (at a minimum) on Thanksgiving. . .so that Friday afternoon I can have my sammich (even without the dressing)! :D

Don't I know it. Throw a little cranberry sauce on there and just dig in and get messy! LOL

MagiePerdu 11-17-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan (Post 791278)
Don't I know it. Throw a little cranberry sauce on there and just dig in and get messy! LOL

LOL, EX-ACT-LY! I think its the layering technique that gets my tastebuds waterin'!! :thumbsup: How come YOU'RE not sleepin', Nan?

beanie 11-17-2009 08:24 AM

well, theres just 3 of us, and the other 2 can really put it away! But I'm making the traditional turkey dinner, I make my own stuffing, and he makes his cause he doesnt like mine( but they both disappear), green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy, homemade mac n cheese. Then he'll have some cranberrt sauce ( no one else likes it). If theres gonna be more, I dont know yet. But then with the leftovers, make turkey and dumplins (instead of chicken), ( a friend told me to do that), also theres turkey noodle soup to make, turkey pot pies, turkey manhattens...I NEVER have to throw away leftovers. If theres still gonna be more turkey around then I like, I freeze it for a later date!

bikerbabe 11-17-2009 08:31 AM

Got the big family here....and yes it`s at my house
but everyone`s chipp`s in so no one person
get`s overloaded.....the usaly trimming`s here

Modemouth 11-17-2009 10:09 AM

What are turkey manhattens?

MagiePerdu 11-17-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modemouth (Post 791329)
What are turkey manhattens?

LOL, I was just gonna ask the SAME question! (Do you drink 'em??)

MagiePerdu 11-17-2009 11:20 AM

I USUALLY make the turkey (brined, so its a process that takes a couple of days), home made cornbread dressing (neither of us like white bread sage dressing) and giblet gravy, broccoli-rice casserole, sweet potatoes (baked or sweetened and smashed), green bean casserole, home made rolls, a cake and a couple of pies. Seriously gonna try to cut down on all that this year (but I'm already mourning the absence of dressing and the other goodies!!)