MyBargainBuddy Forums

MyBargainBuddy Forums (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Message Board How-Tos (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pop-Up Blockers (http://mybargainbuddy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9938)

lindsey-star 05-12-2006 11:26 AM

Pop-Up Blockers

Pop up blockers are essentially the greatest thing ever invented for the internet!

They have one little defect: They block things you WANT to see.

That can easily be fixed.

First of all, I would recommend to anyone to have some sort of pop up blocker. Most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) offer this included with what you are already paying for your internet service. There are also free ones you can find for download at RELIABLE sites like download.com. All pop up blockers have a settings which you can block all pop ups except the ones you want to allow pop ups. Only allow pop ups from sites you trust; your ISP, e-mail, MBB, Amazon, etc. Some shady sites have pop ups that can actually download junk to your computer without your permission!

Anyways! As long as you only allow popups from sites you trust, you won't have to worry about surfing the web. To allow certain domains, You have 2 options:
1. Go to the options menu of your pop up blocker and add the domains you wish to allow and select the option of "blocking all except the following."
2. If you are on a trusted site and it tries to make a pop up, it will have a little yellow box appear at the top of the page that says something like "Pop up Blocked, click here for more options" If you click the yellow box, you can temporarily allow that domain or add that domain to your permenant exceptions list.

If you have further questions, just ask! :heartssmiley:

Happy Surfing!

Lori Ann 05-12-2006 12:00 PM

I love this Lindsey! And definitely it belongs in the "How-To" forum with the cookie thread. We get so much traffic in Chit-Chat, can you post this a second time in Chit-Chat? It will get a lot of "eyeballs" that way, lol! ..:heartssmiley:

Thanks for your help Sweetpea!

Lori :happysmiley: Ann

Kelly 04-17-2007 09:57 AM

i hate pop ups!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLance68 04-20-2007 08:44 AM

If you use Firefox you don't have to bother with pop up blockers. If you insist on using IE go to MSN.com and download their tool bar it has a great popup blocker.

Kelly 04-21-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLance68 (Post 234519)
If you use Firefox you don't have to bother with pop up blockers. If you insist on using IE go to MSN.com and download their tool bar it has a great popup blocker.

thanks, i finally got rid of all my pop ups even though my pop up blocker was on. have no idea how they escaped that!!

Yvonne 05-03-2007 05:15 PM

Lindsey*
Thanks for explaining about the pop up blockers. Now I know how to fix it , so it won`t block anything I want to read or see. clapping

Kelly, I will turn my pop up off, and it still blocks something I want to read. It has also kept me from adding new files that I want to save. i dunno