View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

You can rinse the brine off for a less salty taste.

What is corning or pickling meat? The term "corned" comes from Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain, where the beef was cured in rock salt crushed to the size of wheat kernels, called corns. Corning or pickling preserves meat by adding salt, which inhibits growth of microbes by drawing out moisture. Corning continued after refrigeration as a seasoning process.

rockin Why does corned beef taste so good? The pickling spice blend accentuates the flavor of the beef.rockin

Do you like pickles? It tastes like spicy pickles when I get done with mine.

Corned Beef Brisket Recipe

Ingredients :
1 (8-10 lb) beef brisket
4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in thirds
The Brine
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
2 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon peppercorns
The Simmering Liquid
water, to come up 3/4 to side of brisket
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 garlic cloves, sliced
Preparation :
Combine all of the brine ingredients and bring to a boil, then cool. Place the beef brisket, the cooled brine, and the 4 garlic cloves in a huge plastic roasting bag. Make sure that all of the meat is covered by the brine, tie off tightly, place in a pot large enough to hold it all, and refrigerate for 6 to 7 days, turning occasionally.
After the 6 to 7 days, discard the brine after removing the brisket from the brine. The meat should be thoroughly rinsed and then placed in a Dutch oven or other large pot. Add enough water to come up 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the side of the meat.
Add the rest of the Simmering Liquid ingredients (peppercorns, mustard seeds, allspice, cloves and garlic), bring to a boil and skim off any foam. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, covered, for at least 3 hours.
6-8 servings.

I am an Irish lass so I have have to have corned beef n cabbage and soda bread washed down with a nip of Jameson's.