View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Wink

Stopping smoking is one of the most difficult things you will ever attempt, I should know as I've stopped smoking three times,lol. The important thing is not to "beat yourself up" if you falter in what ever plan you try. If you cease smoking for a day, a week, a month or a year that is a mini success.

Here are some tips that worked for me, maybe they'll help you.

1) Designate areas of your house "smoke free" zones. I smoke but have to go ouside and that is inconvenient.

2) If you stop one habit you create a vacuum, fill it with another habit... for me this was drinking water when I felt like a smoke, sucking on sugar free hard candy, getting up and stretching your legs...etc.

3) Try and identify your trigger times...do you reach for a smoke when you're on the phone or if you're out being social?

4) Exercise...the less you smoke the more efficient your body bcomes and on average you will burn 300 calories less per day. Start small with a walk around your neighborhood and gradually build up to 30 mintues or more.

5) Make a list of all the reasons you want to stop smoking and read it each day...it might be to smell better, to breath better, to save money, to set a good example for your children....everyone has their own personal reasons.

6) If you have a moment of weakness and "sneak" a smoke it's okay....if you usually smoke a pack a day and you now smoke half a pack that is an accomplishment. After time it might just be 2 or 3 a day... Once you're down to 1 or 2 a day it will be much easy to stop all together.

Most important is to have a kind attitude towards yourself. You can do it even if it takes more than one attempt to be totally smoke free. I'm still working on my own path so I'll keep you in my prayers ..

Lori Ann