View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Little Buddy

Faye is on a distinguished roadFaye is on a distinguished road

You have taken the most important step and are on your way to being a smoke free mom! I would like to suggest you call the American Cancer Society and see if your state has a quite smoking program available. I worked there for a year as a "Quit-line Counselor". When various states sued the tobacco companies each state settled in different ways. Most states do have a contract with the American Cancer Society (ACS) in order to assist with this process. The majority of the states offer 6 to 8 weeks of individual 45 minute telephone counseling sessions with the same counselor, nicotine patches/gum during this time as well as asking your doctor to write an order for Prozac to help. And yes Prozac has actually assisted most people with remaining smoke free as compared to those that did not use this particular medication. This decision is for you and your doctor to discuss but I am sure she will help you choose what will work best for you. If your state is one of the many participating in this program you can use it regardless of income, access to health insurance etc. This is because all of it is FREE!!! Yes, free counseling, patches/gum and Prozac. The program has a good support system as well as a structured plan of action that will help you through the process. You can do it you just need "new tools in your tool box". I used to smoke 3 pks. per day and am very happy to say I am smoke free. Keep us posted on your progress and ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU NEED TO!!! ACS # 1-800-227-2345. The ACS website has a ton of information to help you. PROUD OF YOU