View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

CAJUN CREOLE GUMBO

What's the diff between cajun and creole? Some say that "cajun" is country cooking and "creole" is more sophisticated. I have the recipe name written down, so I'm uncertain whether this dish would satisfy both requirements!

Use crab, shrimp or chicken (I use Shrimp, Chicken and Sausage. . .get creative with this recipe!) for this Cajun Creole gumbo casserole.

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons lard or oil
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 bay leaf
1/2 dozen crabs, shelled (add the claws)
1-1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined, or 3 to 4 pound fryer (young chicken), cut up
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Red pepper to taste
2-1/2 cups very warm water
1/2 teaspoon gumbo filé (ground sassafras leaves)
[I usually skip the crab (too expensive) and add sausage instead, and ALSO use the chicken. . .use a box of chicken stock with/instead of the water. . .just gauge the thickness of your resulting gumbo in deciding how much water to add]

Preparation:

Brown the fat and flour together until it makes a golden brown roux (a roux is simply the mixture of your fat and flour, browned. . .like the base for a gravy), then add onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery, and bay leaf. Saute until golden brown.

Add crabs, and shrimp and/or chicken/sausage. Let cook. Also add salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes.

Add water/chicken stock. Let cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour on low heat. Last add gumbo filé. Turn off heat. Serve with steamed rice.

This recipe will serve 6 to 8 people.