07-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Asian Chicken Salad
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (see Ingredient notes)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or reserved chicken-poaching liquid
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 8 cups shredded napa cabbage (see Ingredient Notes)
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 5 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3 1/2 cups shredded skinless cooked chicken (see Tip)
- To prepare dressing: Combine soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil and chile-garlic sauce in a glass measuring cup; stir to blend. Heat canola oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan; bring to a simmer. Whisk in tahini and broth (or poaching liquid); cook until reduced slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
- To prepare salad: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add sesame seeds and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small plate to cool.
- Combine cabbage, carrots, radishes, scallions and chicken in a large shallow bowl. Stir dressing to recombine and drizzle over the salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.