Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Big Buddy

pepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIP
Question Unsolicited CDs and the Environment

We all get them. Some company that you don't want to hear from sends a CD in the mail trying to get you to join something or buy something. Like today when the umpteenth CD from peoplepc online arrived in my mailbox. I have never been in contact with that company and don't want mail from them especially CDs. (I know someone will say well we buy them with movies and music and whatever on them so what's the difference. I have no argument for that.)

These companies don't give a hoot about the environment as far as I am concerned. I would bet 90% of these unsolicited CDs end up in people's trash. BUT, it takes more then 50 years, so I have read, for CDs to break down in land fills and other types of dumps. These CDs are made with a variety of metals and chemicals which will end up in MOTHER EARTH. So future generations will have to deal with this polution and possibly diseases caused by this stuff. My peeve is that these companies send millions of CDs out a month and if they would just stop it would help the environment some.
Not a total resolution, I know.

I am not 100% sure how to totally destroy a CD so it can't harm our environment. The article I read about how long it takes for them to 'decompose' added that you can melt CDs in a microwave...takes about 8 minutes. That ought to tell us something about what they are made of if it takes 8 minutes to melt one. But the article didn't go on to say how to safely dispose of the melted CD. Perhaps melting them breaks down the metals and chemicals enough to make them safe to just toss in the trash.

Anyone know more about this subject?

Last edited by pepper60 : 03-09-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Smile

No idea but now that you mention this I do get a lot of stuff from AOL, etc. They look like pricey marketing pieces but I didn't ask for them

I wish there was a way they could be recycled or something. I may look around on the web later and see if I can stumble across something....

Lori Ann
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Karen is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to all

http://www.nomoreaolcds.com

Why we are doing this:
"We represent all who are sick of receiving unwanted AOL cds. By sending us your unwanted AOL, Netscape, or CompuServe cds, you can help us make a statement. Once we have 1,000,000 collected, we will make our quest across America to give them all back to their rightful owner, AOL and say "stop doing this". Don't throw them away or get mad, send'em to us and we'll all end this wasteful practice while sharing a laugh or two."

Our Mission:
To make it clear to AOL that a lot of people do not want and have never asked for their CDs. To stop the needless pollution of the environment due to distribution of unwanted materials. To preserve our personal privacy.

What to Send:
We take CDs from AOL as well as their subsidiaries, CompuServe and Netscape. We DO NOT take any other media.

No More AOL CDs!
1601 Navellier St.
El Cerrito CA, 94530
U.S.A.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Big Buddy

pepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIP
Coolicon Bless you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
http://www.nomoreaolcds.com

Why we are doing this:
"We represent all who are sick of receiving unwanted AOL cds. By sending us your unwanted AOL, Netscape, or CompuServe cds, you can help us make a statement. Once we have 1,000,000 collected, we will make our quest across America to give them all back to their rightful owner, AOL and say "stop doing this". Don't throw them away or get mad, send'em to us and we'll all end this wasteful practice while sharing a laugh or two."

Our Mission:
To make it clear to AOL that a lot of people do not want and have never asked for their CDs. To stop the needless pollution of the environment due to distribution of unwanted materials. To preserve our personal privacy.

What to Send:
We take CDs from AOL as well as their subsidiaries, CompuServe and Netscape. We DO NOT take any other media.

No More AOL CDs!
1601 Navellier St.
El Cerrito CA, 94530
U.S.A.
Bless you, Karen, for sharing this. I will start a collection right away and gladly send them to this group. Their return effort is surely to be on the
major news shows when they do this...hahahahaha
Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Smile

Wow...Karen...I had no idea.

I have thrown away literally hundreds of these stupid AOL CD mailers - I feel sorry for the mail lady because I know she has a bin of them that everyone is getting in their mail-box. I wish I had known about this website a couple of years ago, lol.

I sent myself a link to the site - gonna set up a box tomorrow and also e-mail my friends. Thanks guys for bringing the matter up as well as giving us some practical solutions.

Lori Ann
Old 03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Big Buddy

pamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributer

My sister is a preschool teacher and they have started using these Cds to make ornaments at Christmas. The kids get to decorate their own ornament and take it home for their tree. I save all the ones I get in the mail and often pick one up at the grocery store for her.
I also ordered my neice a really cute clock off of ebay that was made out of a CD and decorated with pictures from the Friends tv show.