Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Big Buddy

hblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default child with disabilities

I am the mom of 4 sons, luckily none have disabilities. I have grown up around people who had them so I never thought much about them being different. Like the older kid down the street Randy who had a severe limp due to polio. Other kids made fun of him when he'd ride his 3 wheeled bike. I never understood why at the time. One of my youngest sons best friends has turretts and as he gets older it seems to get better. My friends had siblings who had disabilities and another gave birth to twins which had shunts, one was blind and deaf as well. I learned sign language as a teenager so I could talk to my friends lil sis and took a class at the hopsital so I could babysit for my friend Donna so her and her hubby could go out once in a while and get away from the stress that comes with being parents of special needs kids. I also donated 15 hours a week to being a mothers helper for various people who had kids with disabilities so they could go chill. I want to share one thing I have learned, these kids are more normal than most kids without special needs. They are sweet and caring. The doctors don't have all the answers and are usually wrong about your child limitations. They can probably do more than they thought they could or would.

Me
Old 02-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Big Buddy

momnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud of

Hey BlueEyes. I am looking for a new babysitter. Want to come help?

New Orleans Saints, winners of the 2010 Super Bowl! WHO DAT!!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Big Buddy

hblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default Help out

Sure. I must warn you though, I do not believe a baby can be spoiled, I am one of those that constantly hold/carry a child around. I also do not believ in letting them cry themselves to sleep. If they are a little older like 2-4, I allow them to make a mess. We clean up after but the fun is in the mess. For example I will put out different sized cups and fill a one with water and let them try to put 12 ounces of water in a 4 ounce cup. it is alot of fun and you'd be surprised at how much they learn from something so simple. Oh and I have been known to do dishes and housecleaning with the kids help. If they can stand on a chair with a towel then they can do dishes. It is mostly splashing and playing with bubbles but they are helping. And no TV unless it is Mr.Rogers, Big Bird, Wild Kingdom etc. and even then no more than 2 hours a day. I just love kids. Where u at?

Me
Old 03-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Big Buddy

momnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud ofmomnick8 has much to be proud of

My baby is 8 and she won't be standing at any sinks- she is in a wheelchair.

Speaking of my baby-

The New Orleans Museum of Art was having a free Grand ReOpening so we went down Saturday. It was really nice and they even had children's authors who did activities with the kids. A theatre person had picked Katie to help with his Little Red Riding Production, when I noticed Katie staring out into space not talking. I realized she was having a mild seizure, so I hurried her out of there (with the poor guy calling out after us but I couldn't yell out "Sorry, she can't be in your show but she's having a seizure. I did tell someone later to go tell him why we left). She came out of it quickly and didn't even get sleepy.

So we left the museum, but stayed in New Orleans visiting relatives and going to see how it looked around the Lakefront. We went into a restaurant to eat around 6 and Katie started shivering. I touched her and she was burning up. I asked a family with kids if they had any Tylenol or Motrin, and the Dad went and got some Motrin for her, and we got our food to go and left.

On the way home (an hour's drive), Katie seemed to be ok- the Motrin brought her fever down, but when we were almost in Baton Rouge, she had another seizure, so we decided to go by the ER. They couldn't find a reason (her fever wasn't even 102), but they took blood to see if she needed a higher dose of seizure meds and we get the results by Monday I hope. She had a seizure in her sleep Sat. night- at least that is what it looked like. We had her in bed with us.

She was ok today, but I am keeping her home Monday until we find out what is going on. She hasn't had a blood test for a while and with a weight gain, I am betting she just needs a higher dose of meds.

By the way, the museum looked great, and it was a very nice day until the seizure. We also got to have snowballs with my cousin and family on the opening day of a nearby snowball stand. The neighborhood people were thrilled that the place was open.

New Orleans Saints, winners of the 2010 Super Bowl! WHO DAT!!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member

Nancy, Vanessa, Everybody......

I am speechless as I read your posts...and also humbled. I so admire all of you women for your quiet strength. God bless all of you and your families....

Lori Ann Hull

Wilmington, NC
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Little Buddy

Vanessa is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Lori Ann and Everybody!
I love my step kids and my own kids equally no matter the circumstances or disabilities, I what the best for them. I have enough love to go around