Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Big Buddy

Ma Kettle is on a distinguished roadMa Kettle is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help from New York, New York

Hi Everyone,

I need help with some really good bargains in New York City..
See my Hubby won a trip to New York City for two, a spa make over and $500.00 spending money..

He won it from Planters Peanuts last year and couldnt go until now..well till July that is. I will be going with him, but he told me things that I didn't like hearing and that is.

Well we will arrive in Newark airport and the hotel is Le Parker Meridien , but we will have to pay to get from the airport to the hotel, ( so I know what the $500 is for now) anyway..I notice that useing taxi's in New York isn't cheap and we are not city folks so taking a bus are such would scare the day lights out of us..
So we was wondering if there is any other cheaper way to get to the hotel ..like some coupons discounts or such..
They said it was a hour drive from the airport to the hotel and it would cost over $50.00
Also we would like to see the statue of liberty and other sights while we are there..but notice online that even them are not cheap..wow am I glad I live out here in the country where everything is cheaper..lol
So if any of you have some great ideas for us to enjoy this trip and to save money at the same time, we would be thankful..

We will be flying at night and get into Newark early in the morning. We can't get into our room till 3 PM and that is when we have to be at the spa also.
Then we will have the next day to play around and the 3rd day too in a way but will be leaving in the evening back home..

Hope us contry hillbilly's can handle this big city for those days...lol

Again we are thankful for those who can help us. .

Ma Kettle
Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Big Buddy

Love2seeClay is a jewel in the rough
Default Hotel?

Have you contacted the hotel? They should be able to tell you all the different ways to get from the airport to their hotel. They may even run their own private shuttle (which still costs money - but is LOTS nicer than a taxi or bus!) While you have them on the phone ask them if they have any discount coupon books on site.

Are you a member of AAA? They often have coupon books for different cities. Also go online and try to find the travel and tourism site for NYNY. They should be able to send you tons of travel pamplets and also some discount coupon books.

Hmm - do they have Entertainment books for NYNY?? I know that those are 50% off right now. Might be worth the $15 you'd have to spend to get one if you can get BOGO free into museums or tourist attractions.

Hope one of these can help you!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

Kristy you were in my head! Definately call the hotel ahead of time, most do have shuttles because getting around the city is crazy. AAA can give you guides and any travel info you would need. Congrats on winning, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Big Buddy

Michele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on up
Talking

I'm no help, why I'm in Ohio for heavens sake.

However, did want to tell you I'm really happy for you and your husband. I love New York, it is like no other place you have ever been. Take some very comfortable walking shoes with you and just have a ball!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer

You might try searching the official NY tourism site. There is info about all the ways of getting around. Check out free events that are happening during your stay. Look for restaurants around your hotel and if you find national chains, sign up at their websites for free appetizers, coupons, etc. If the hotel does not have a shuttle, check the train schedules. It may be cheaper to take the train into the city and cab from the station to your hotel. Since you don't leave until July, start a change jar for your "transportation fund". You would be surprised how fast it adds up. My bank has a free change exchange machine that counts the coins and issues a receipt that can be exchanged for "folding money" through the teller. I also put any savings from rebates and coupons into my change jar and my husband and I use this little stash of $ for our vactions. Also, I always pack snacks for the room. Hotel prices are WAAAY higher for goodies. We also bring tea bags, coffee and canister Kool-Aid. (we're country go to town) Hope you have a great trip!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

Have fun in NYC. Try to get to a broadway show while you're there.
Bring comfortable shoes because chances are you'll be walking a lot.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Yeahmarker

Wow,
First off congrats on the win I've been reading all of the advice here and it is great advice.....take it. Here's some extra info...by all means set up the transit to & fro the airport, I lived in Manhatten 1985 thru 1988 and Newark is a *****-kitty getting in and out of - I always preferred La Guardia.
Second....NYC is an island, it's small, lol... I walked from 23rd Street & Park Avenue South to Grand Central on a regular basis. If you are going someplace in the evening by all means take a cab - everything is pretty close by. Walking is nice in the day time because you will get to see everything up close and personal - bring the tennis shoes, lol.

You have the time - like mentioned above, order tourist information from the Visitors Bureau & convention center, etc... Relax, plan ahead and have big fun in the Big Apple

Lori Ann
Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Big Buddy

Melissa is a jewel in the rough

You could always check out restaurant.com. Cheap food is always good on vacation.

From mybargainbuddy.com front page:
60% off any order at Restaurant.com code: 87539