1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
extra butter at room temperature for brushing the molds
1. Butter 2 madeleine molds (molds of 12) and put into the refrigerator.
After about 15 minutes remove them and butter them again. Make sure
that the butter is also around the indentations on the top because as the madeleines expand they may stick to the top of the mold. Put them back
in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.
2. Grate the zest finely from 1/2 of the lemon and reserve.
3. Squeeze the lemon and reserve the juice.
4. Whisk the flour and baking powder together.
5. Melt the butter and set aside.
6. Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice together for
about 30 seconds. Don't overmix.
7. Thin the mixture with 1/2 cup of the milk.
8. Add the flour all at once and using a whisk, work the mixture just
long enough to eliminate any lumps. Don't overwork.
9. Gently stir in the rest of the milk and the melted butter.
10. Refrigerate the batter for 20 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 425°.
12. Pipe or spoon the batter into the molds. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning the molds halfway through the cooking time.
13. When done, immediately remove the cookies from the molds and
allow to cool on racks.
To Serve: Dust lightly with confectioner's sugar just before serving.
Support Lighthouse Preservation
It's Part Of Our Heritage