Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Big Buddy

free4now is a jewel in the rough
0sign0037 Hey y'all! Need weight gain recipes and ideas. yes gain not loss

Hey! I'm having a hard time finding info on how to help my teen son gain weight. The doc said Wed. He is 10 pounds under a healthy weight. They did do some lab work. He has always been slim. It's hard to find info on how to gain weight in a healthy way. I don't want to start feeding him a bunch of junk. Every thing we read tells you how to lose weight. Any good ideas?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Big Buddy

oh yeah! He is 15. ty,
Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

My 16 yr old is 6'2 and 195..lol I'll see what he's eating... oh yeah he eats everything!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Big Buddy

pepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIP

Chocolate has side benefits beside calories & fats. If he happens
to like chocolate items like candy, let him enjoy them more often.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Until I had kids, I weighed under 100 lbs. Of course, this is probably not an option for your 15 yr old son!

Are there foods he enjoys? Foods he hates or is allergic to? Peanut butter and banana sammiches are pretty well liked by kids and are a relatively healthy snack. Fruits and nuts of all kinds should be pretty good (again, unless there is an allergy issue).

It's important when trying to gain weight to add to your diet foods that are high in protein. Some classic plant based protein examples are: peanut butter with whole wheat toast, or beans and rice.

All it takes to gain one pound a week is increase daily food intake by 500 calories. If you do that without increasing your activity level, in 7 days you will gain one pound.

Things to add to your food to gain weight:

*Put honey on the peanut butter sandwich, add a banana and 8 oz. of milk (that right there is over 500 calories).
*Put ganola on yogurt.
*Add cheese to sandwiches or vegetables.
*Avacodos are real good for you and high in calories. He could mash up a whole avacado and put it on toast with mayo, salt and pepper.

Weight gain for people who are underweight is much more difficult than for people who are overweight. An underweight person may have a higher metabolism, be taller, fewer fat cells, "lean genes" or just not care about food.

Try out this Healthy Body Calculator http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html to find out how many calories he needs to eat. Remember to select "gain 1 or 2 pounds per week". Next, he will need to keep track of all the food and beverages he eats to make sure he is eating enough calories. A meal plan based on the Food Guide Pyramid would provide you with about 2000 calories as a base (I think) and you could increase the number of servings of each group to get more calories. He should be eating 3 meals per day and 3 or 4 snacks.

He might also start an exercise program that includes weight training. After all, he doesn't want to just put on bodyfat, he'll probably want to put on more muscle.

Let's see what else we can come up with or find for you.

Last edited by MagiePerdu : 08-10-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Big Buddy

bikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIP

I know these arnt great...but burgers....frie`s...pizza...
more of what he love`s....Im probally not much help..
Good Luck....
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Karen is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to all

Here is a site with info geared toward young ladies, but it can be applied to young men, too.

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/gai...hy_parent.html
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Big Buddy

Default thanks

I will try some of these sites right now. Then go shopping. I just showed him some of the ideas. He thinks I may get him sick . ,so we are going to take it one thing at a time
Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Big Buddy

Dartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributerDartman is a wonderful contributer

Cook with butter for him
Beef , Beef and more beef
Add cheese to anything helps.
no skim milk---whole or 2%
add butter and half&half to mashed tators
breakfest meats are high in fat and protein.
Potatos work wonders.
Oj even adds lots of calories to breakfest.......couple glasses a day.