Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Online Studies & Surveys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 AM
Big Buddy

pepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIP
Default $12 Amazon GC for Math Problems Experiment

Welcome to the experiment!

Wikipedia produces a valuable product by pooling contributions from many volunteers. Can we do the same for educational materials? The purpose of this study is to evaluate factors in the design of a community tool for collaborative development and open use of educational materials.
You will be asked to make math problems to teach the Pythagorean theorem. For each problem you will write the problem description, draw a diagram, and describe the steps to solve the problem. You will make up to 3 such worked problems, which will take 15-60 minutes total, depending on your prior experience. When done with the authoring you will answer a short questionnaire. At the end, you will be given the choice of whether you would like to share on the web the materials you made so others can use them.
Your participation is voluntary. Gift certificates to Amazon are provided as appreciation. For full participation, you will receive $12. If you leave before the end, you will receive $4 for each contributed problem.
Your privacy preferences will be honored. Your anonymity will be maintained during data analysis and publication/presentation of results. At the conclusion of the experiment, you will be given the opportunity to release your contributions onto the web. If you choose to, you can do so anonymously or with attribution. Your e-mail address is necessary to send you the gift certificate but I will not contact you otherwise without your permission.
Emailturadg+ptone@cs.cmu.eduSkypeturadgPhone(412) 223-6662
If you have any questions about this study, feel free to contact me now or at anytime throughout your participation.

http://education.hciresearch.org/pythagorean/authoring/
Old 09-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Big Buddy

Kathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributer

Here's the message I received:

Between midnight this morning and 3pm this afternoon, over 1300 people participated in this experiment. Over the preceeding two weeks only 40 had. I had money allocated for 60 participants and at the initial rate of 3 per day was completely unprepared for this explosion of participation.

Overparticipation is a wonderful problem to have, except when you've said you will pay each participant. I am taking the site down now to seek advice on how to proceed (and figure out what happened).

In the meantime, if you would like to withdraw your participation you may e-mail me to request this.

UPDATE 3:44pm EST : Good samaritans have written me that this experiment was posted to SlickDeals and FatWallet. Maybe this is a new corollary to the Slashdot effect.

Kathy
Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 AM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

so does that mean they are not going to pay the money?