Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP
Default athletes foot

Athlete's Foot

From Jonathan Cluett, M.D.,
Your Guide to Orthopedics.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Fungal infection in the feet and toes
What is athlete's foot?
Athlete’s foot is a common fungal infection of the skin of your feet. The fungus, tinea pedis, is contracted from public environments. The fungus then grows in the warm and moist environment of your footwear, and can be difficult to eradicate.

Where did I get a athlete's foot from?
Many cases of athlete’s foot can be traced to use of a public recreational facility, such as a spa, swimming pool, or locker room shower. The fungus, which grows in warm, moist environments, likes to live in the outer layers of your skin. However, for short periods of time, the fungus can live in warm puddles on the tile floor, awaiting another foot to hop onto.

What are the symptoms of athlete’s foot?
Most commonly, people experience the typical symptoms of athlete’s foot:

* Itching, most notably in the creases between your toes

* Redness and scaling of the skin in affected areas

* Cracked or blistered skin.
Sponsored Links
Ugly Red Athlete's Foot?
You Can Beat Athlete's Feet Simple & Fast Secret - Free Report
www.paravex.com/athletes_feet
No More Athlete's Foot
No more Embarrassment and Suffering So Simple - and 100% Guaranteed
www.smellyfeetnomore.com
Information
Helpful Links for Information
www.toseeka.com

Symptoms of athlete's foot can be mild or severe. In more progressed stages of fungal infection, the toenails may become involved causing a thickened, yellowish appearance of the nail.

How can I get rid of athlete's foot?
The best treatment for athlete’s foot, is prevention. If you're reading this, it is likely that this particular step of treatment has either been passed, or has not worked--keep reading! Once you do get rid of athlete's foot, you're going to want to know how to prevent it from happening again in the future.

* Wear sandals in the locker room. Make sure they have a non-stick sole so you won't have to search the Internet for information on caring for broken bones...

* Wear cotton socks, and change them often. Once you're done sweating, clean off and put on a fresh pair. If you're shoes are wet or sweaty, make sure you dry them before lacing up again.

* Wash your feet and dry them well. Fungi from athlete's foot will live in a warm, moist environment. If you keep your feet dry, they will have a hard time enjoying you. Application of a talc powder can help keep your feet dry over the course of the day.

The best treatment for a simple case of athlete’s foot is an over-the-counter medication. Ask the pharmacist to direct you towards a medication for athlete's foot (not necessarily the most expensive), and be diligent about applying the medication. You'll have to do this for at least several weeks, twice a day, for athlete's foot treatment to be effective. Of course, also perform the above recommendations, in addition to applications of the medication.

Do I need to see a doctor about athlete's foot?
If you can’t seem to win the battle against athlete's foot, then it’s probably time to visit your doctor. There are further treatment steps that can be taken. If the topical antifungal treatments are not sufficient to control the problem, then an oral prescription treatment is often the next step. There are quite a few antifungal medications on the market, your doctor will help you decide which is best. Fortunately, some of the newer medications have minimal side-effects and are less expensive, but because of possible complications all of the oral antifungals are available only by prescription.

Are there any other issues I should be concerned about if I have athlete's foot?
Athlete’s foot is extremely common, and in almost all cases there is no underlying problem that led to your contracting this infection. However, fungal infections can also be an early sign of more serious problems that result in a weakened immune system. This is especially true for individuals who are at risk for developing diabetes or contracting the HIV virus. If someone in your family has diabetes, or if you are at-risk for HIV (high-risk sexual activity, needle sharing), then you should see your doctor to confirm that these are not potential underlying disorders.

Athlete's Foot Treatment
How to Cure Athlete's Foot
Find A Doctor
Products to Cure Athlete's Foot
Other Foot Problems
Heel Spurs
Achilles Tendinitis
Suggested Reading
Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Wink

Great post Christine...

I spend a lot of time on my feet and in the water 6 months out of the year (sometimes 14 hours a day)...here is something that really keeps my tootsies Happy!

Takr a couple of tea-bags, any type will do but I really like to use OTC generic and some peppermint tea. Boil up some water and prep 2 cups of tea or about 20 oz. Let it cool to room temperature...add it to a nice sized bucket you can comfortably place both of your feet in without sloshing around. Add enough cold water to cover your feet right to above the ankles. Soak for 20 to 40 minutes. Your feet will feel so good! The tincture & tannins in the tea have a cleansing effect, the pepperminit is soothing if you have any inflammation.... you will literally have twinkle toes if you do this twice a week ..

Lori Ann