Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP
Default New York using "green carts" in latest obesity fight

New York City will issue 1,000 new permits for mobile fruit and vegetable stands in its latest drive against obesity and unhealthiness among its residents.
The City Council voted on Wednesday to issue the new permits for low-income neighborhoods, saying a scarcity of fresh produce has led to high rates of obesity and other health problems.
City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said underserved New Yorkers would have better access to fresh produce as early as this spring.
"The communities in our city where obesity and diabetes continues to skyrocket are the same communities that lack even the most basic access to fresh fruits and vegetables," Quinn said.
The United States' biggest city has taken the lead on pushing for healthier habits. It banned artery-clogging trans-fats from city restaurants in 2006, outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants in 2003, and will soon force fast-food chains to display calorie counts on their menu boards.
There are more than 4,000 permits for so-called green carts in New York and the stands are a common sight in wealthy Manhattan.
But low-income New Yorkers are left with little choice but to buy unhealthy "convenience" foods, most of which are packaged and processed, supporters of the bill said.
Councilman John Liu said the bill was bad policy.
"If people wanted this produce, the stores would be selling them and there would be vending carts on the street," he said.
The bill had been scaled back after supermarket and store owners voiced opposition.
More than half of New York adults are overweight or obese and an estimated 700,000 New Yorkers suffer from diabetes, the health department said.
While the rate of obesity is below 15 percent in much of Manhattan, rates in less affluent neighborhoods, including Harlem, South Bronx and Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, are over 27 percent.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Here in Oklahoma, they are upset about cart vendors and were getting kinda nasty about issuing permits for carts. . .mebbe if they only sold veggies, the permits would be easier to obtain. The weird, Big-Brotherish thing about it is. . .I could see them trying to legislate thinness right on the heels of tobacco legislation. There is just TOO DANG MUCH GUV'MINT for my likin'!! If they can't tax you into getting thing, or punish you for being "obese" (for instance, by charging you higher insurance premiums, etc.), I guess they'll punish the little cart vendor for purveying less than healthy goods, by refusing to issue vendor/cart permits. Anyone ever try fried broccoli???
Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Big Buddy

xavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud of
Default bravo new york!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
The City Council voted on Wednesday to issue the new permits for low-income neighborhoods, saying a scarcity of fresh produce has led to high rates of obesity and other health problems.
in chicago (and probably elsewhere) we have what they are now calling "food deserts" because supermarkets are in many cases more than five miles away from some neighborhoods--neighborhoods, mind you, where cars are not an option. The residents rely on the corner or "convenience" store and fast food restaurants--which are, of course, in abundance--for DAILY meals.

Imagine providing your family's daily sustenance from 7-11 and McDonald's...
Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Big Buddy

xavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud of
Wink fry me a river....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiePerdu View Post
Anyone ever try fried broccoli???
no, but i have had fried asparagus, not so good! Even worse cuz they served with my FRIED fish and my FRIED chips! (hey, i'm irish--i gotta have my fish-n-chips once in a while!)
Old 03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

LOL, Rosie. . .I'm all for fish 'n chips. Actually fried asparagus sounds pretty good to me (specially if you get a nice, rich hollandaise to dip it in!)