Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Help Me
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP
Lookicon About to rent a house........question

HI
I am currently looking for a house to rent and I think I may have found one.
I've never rented before and was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions before I sign a lease.
Thanks so much buddies.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

The ad made it sound like more of a dream come true than a rental home. You are desperate to land this place and know itís the home youíve been looking for. Your instincts, however, tell you that your dream pad isnít as perfect as it seems. But what are the hidden problems and how will you uncover them before signing the lease? The next twelve months are way too long to live with squeaky plumbing, a ferocious dog next dog and a dishwasher that leaks all over the floor during every single cycle. The staff at RentalHomesPlus knows the perfect rental is out there for you and wants to make sure you find itónot its evil imposter. Here are the questions you need to ask when renting a home.

When you call about the adÖ

* Confirm all the claims made in the ad and clarify any sketchy statements. Ask the owner/management company for exact descriptions.
* Ask for the total square footage of the home as well as the footage of each room.
* Make sure the rent is exactly what was listed and that the availability date matches your schedule. Thereís no sense in wasting time looking at a house for rent that isnít going to be ready for three months when youíre ready to move next week.
* If you have any special needs, like a dog that will be moving in with you or an allergy to a certain type of carpet, be sure your requirements can be met.

During the walk-through of the homeÖ

* Do all the appliances work? Check all the appliances and sinks to be sure they are working properly.
* Are there insects or rodents present? If the current tenant is there ask them about the severity of the problem and what is being done to fix it.
* How old is the wiring? If there are very few outlets or if you see two-pronged switches, it probably is older wiring. This may be a convenience and safety issue.
* How much closet/storage space is there? Donít underestimate how much space your belongings will take up.
* Are there enough windows to provide ample light for your taste and do they open and close properly?
* Are the rooms big enough to fit your furniture? Take a tape measure with to be sure.
* Make sure that the house will be cleaned and have the paint touched up before you move in.
* How is the home heated and cooled? Check the units to see what shape they are in. Also ask what utilities are included in the rent and which ones are your responsibility as the renter.
* What is the maintenance policy? What fixes are included in the rent and which ones are not. If there are repairs that are not included in the rent, find out if there is an extra charge and how much it is. There should be a prompt emergency contact and a non-emergency line as well.
* What parking is available, is there a garage or only street parking? Are there any parking permits that are required in the neighborhood?
* Do all the appliances work? Check all the appliances and sinks to be sure they are working properly.

Before you sign the leaseÖ

* If anything was amiss during the walkthrough or not up to standards, negotiate a lower price to make up for these problems. You can also use yourself as a selling point to knock $50-$100 off the rent. Many home owners are willing to accept a little less rent for a responsible, mature tenant who will pay rent on time and keep the place well-maintained.
* When is the rent due and what is the policy on late rent?
* Are you required to hold renterís insurance? If so, how much will a policy cost?
* Is the neighborhood safe? Walk the neighborhood at night (with a friend) and observe your surroundings. Also check online to see if crime reports are available for your neighborhood.
* When can you move in your belongings? Check the move in/move out dates printed on the lease. If the 1st of the month falls on a Wednesday, can you move in the previous weekend or will you have to do a weekday move?
* Get a copy of the lease and keep it in a safe place.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Big Buddy

voleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud ofvoleyball has much to be proud of

Well congratulations! Make sure to go over the lease very carefully. Also make sure to ask and make sure it is clear what you will do in an emergancy. If the plumbing has a major problem in the middle of the nite- do you have to call the landlord first? Do you have to use the plumber they have picked or can you pick one? things like that. Think of things that can go wrong and ask about them. Also don't forget to get renters insurance. The home owner has insurance but that does not cover your things. So if you have a flood or fire it is up to you to be able to replace the things. Also you might want to ask them if they go on a vacation or out of town will they leave information for you to get ahold of them or someone else that can help you in case of an emergancy with the home. That way you can protect yourself and them- if something goes wrong best to address it right away- not let it wait. If the home has a yard and you would like to plant things- flowers or a graden you have to ask if you can do that too. Sounds like alot of things but my family has been the person doing the renting and we have been the landlords. It helps and makes things move smoother if you can cover everything up front. Keeping a good relationship with your landlord is a very good thing. Then if you have somesort of problem they will be more adapt to come running rather then put you off.GOOD LUCK! I hope that what I have said helps.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so nervous. Never been on my own.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Big Buddy

grams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIP

have no doubt you can handle this!!...But if you have doubts double check yourself.....
Old 04-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Big Buddy

xavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud ofxavirose has much to be proud of

coupla more things.. take pics right before taking possession... if any carpet/wallcovering issues or window cracks, etc., that way you cannot be held responsible for these when you move out, also, if you have a yard, who will be in charge of mowing/lawn maintenance--this takes up quite a bit of time weekly and if you are dealing with it yourself, you can make negotiations w/ the landlord, and if the landlord is dealing with it, you can make sure it is taken care of each week/month or what have you, as this is part of what you are paying for in your lease. good luck with your new place!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 PM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP
0love0046

Quote:
Originally Posted by grams1952 View Post
have no doubt you can handle this!!...But if you have doubts double check yourself.....

The best advice ever!!!! Good luck bunny.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Big Buddy

Kathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributer

Look into taking out a renter's insurance policy.

http://www.insure.com/articles/homei...e/renters.html

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye