Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Help Me
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Big Buddy

tressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud of
0sign0050 Wintering Strawberry Plants

I'm hoping somewhere here has either experienced this before or can let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

I ordered one of the sets of 25 strawberry plants and (what turned out to be plastic) 'faux' terra-cotta planter - the kind with the holes in the sides for the plants to grow out of. I intended to put the plants in an actual plot, but weeks after the package had arrived the plot had never dug itself so I ended up putting the plants with in the planter. Now, naturally, I have a beautiful porch pot full of nice healthy strawberry plants that have buds in various stages right thru to green berries and trailers sent out.

The only thing I can think of to winter over these plants is to put the entire thing in a single or doubled heavy trash bag and set it in the basement where it won't actually freeze. But then it will actually mold. So should I wrap it and leave it outside? Perhaps our garage - where it will freeze but be a bit more protected. Should I nip all of the buds off so that the nourishment goes back into the roots for the winter?

There's no possible way to get these plants out of the planter - the roots are tangled together. I could get a saw and take the planter apart, in fact I may do this next spring if that plot ever turns up - but it seems it may be better to leave the new plants where they are for the winter. These are first year plants. And so healthy I hate to let them die if I can help it.

Anyone? All ideas are very welcome. Up here our winter generally runs about 0 to 20 degrees for days or weeks on end once January hits.

Thanks for any help.

Tressa
Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Big Buddy

Mingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shaker

Here in Oregon I leave mine out in there containers and they go thru several days of freeze, they are next to the building, but we don;t have the severe temps that you do....maybe leave them outside BUT cover them with some thicker plastic and leave some air spots so they can breath and won't mold.....hope you can over winter them

I went to bring my geraniums and fushias in today and they both have new buds on them, go figure end of Oct
Old 11-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Big Buddy

tressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud of

Thanks - that's what I decided to do. I did put a few holes in the bag, figure I should dump a bit of water in there as well every now and then too. I hope they make it - not a big financial loss, but the plants themselves are so healthy.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Big Buddy

kittycity6 is a special memberkittycity6 is a special member

If I'm not too late, a sheet or other piece of fabric would keep the mold and rot down betterthan plastic.