Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Big Buddy

alice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fans
Default Homemade turkey gravy

Homemade Turkey Gravy

4 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups Kitchen Basics Turkey (or Chicken Stock)
3/4 cups dry wine (red or white)
1 Tbsp. fat from turkey drippings
Turkey drippings (about 1 cup), strained

Heat butter in a heavy saucepan on medium. Whisk in flour and continue to stir constantly until caramel color. Whisk in stock and wine; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain liquids from turkey, remove fat. Whisk in turkey fat and all strained drippings into gravy to desired thickness.

Juicy Baked Turkey
Baking the turkey:

1/2 cup each Onion, Celery and Carrot
3 sprigs Thyme
5 sprigs Parsley
2 cups Kitchen Basics Turkey or Chicken Stock
(For a healthy spin use Kitchen Basics NEW Unsalted Chicken Stock)

Add ingredients and stock into the bottom of the roasting pan. Bake as directed.

free "Cooking with Stock" 6th edition recipe booklet:

http://www.kitchenbasics.net/promotions.htm
Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Thanks, Alice. My DIL wrote and asked me how to make gravy. I was so shocked. . .I guess it's just sorta "old hat" to me now and it just surprised the heck outta me that she didn't know how to make it. I found a recipe somewhere for "easy" gravy (altho the directions were rather long). . .I'll try to find it in my "sent" mail and post it here too, so y'all can tell me if you think it's "easy" or not! (I actually think Alice's recipe sounds easier than the one I sent the DIL!)
Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Big Buddy

HIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to allHIPeGURL is a name known to all

YES, DEFINITELY ALICE HAS GOT THE EASIEST. I THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE RIDING A BIKE,,,,,,,BUT LAST TIME I MADE GRAVY I COULDN'T REMEMBER IF YOU PUT THE FLOUR IN FIRST OR THE STOCK......ANYWAY......I GOT NASTY LUMPS..........senior moment?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

The key to making gravy is to get the fat you're using HOT, then add the flour & whisk/stir 'till it's smooth, THEN add your liquid (stirring all the while). . .voila! no lumps!

HOWEVER, if you are using corn starch (instead of flour) to make your gravy, you wanna make a "slurry" (mix the corn starch with COOL water 'till the water is cloudy looking), then pour it into your ALREADY HOT liquid and whisk/stir till smooth.

Here's the "easy" recipe I sent my DIL:

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup of either Wondra flour, all-purpose flour, or cornstarch (cornstarch is kinda tricky, you gotta blend it with cool water and THEN add it to hot liquid, or it'll clump up)
3 cups of chicken broth or stock
1 to 1-1/2 cups de-fatted liquid from cooking turkey
Several drops of Kitchen Bouquet or other browning/seasoning sauce (not required, but adds to the flavor)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Giblets simmered in chicken broth with the turkey neck for 30 minutes and coarsely chopped (optional, in case you don't like giblets)

DIRECTIONS:

Make a base for the turkey gravy up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate by shaking the flour or cornstarch together with room temperature chicken broth or stock together in a fruit jar, dividing ingredients to fit in the jar, if necessary. Shake the jar until the flour or cornstarch is thoroughly mixed with the liquid.

THEN, pour all of the contents into a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid is silky and smooth. This is the base for your gravy. . .Transfer this to a storage container and refrigerate until additional liquid can be de-fatted from cooking the turkey.

At serving time, heat the base liquid, add cooking juices from the turkey (the 1 to 1-1/2 cups liquid with some of the fat skimmed off) and the Kitchen Bouquet (if you're using it). Stir until the gravy is a rich, golden brown. Add the chopped giblets, if you are using them. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if you wish and taste again to see if it needs more.

Transfer your hot gravy to a pitcher or gravy boat just before serving, so it is hot for pouring over the turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes at the table.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 AM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP
Thumbs up

I use a fat separator for the turkey juices. Pour some juice into saucpan and whisk in flour. I eyeball amts. for both. Get that cooking and then add rest of defatted juices. Add salt and pepper and I am done.

Just keep whisking until all the ingredients are smooth.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Big Buddy

alice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fans

didn't want to mislead anybody...i copied that recipe off that free booklet link! hope it's good...

(what few times I've made gravy I use that package mix...Schilling?)
Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Big Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
didn't want to mislead anybody...i copied that recipe off that free booklet link! hope it's good...

(what few times I've made gravy I use that package mix...Schilling?)
Sweet Alice, you make me smile. Recipes all gotta come from somewhere! Not many of us have the time (or spare budget) to experiment with foodstuffs!

We appreciate you sharing what you do experiment with, or what you find that you think the rest of us might enjoy!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Big Buddy

Default Here's Mrs. Dash's Quick 'n Easy gravy recipe

Home Made Gravy
Mix in 1 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Chicken Grilling Blend in 7 Tbsp. corn starch and add to 7 cups low sodium chicken broth. (Makes quite a bit, but then, in MY house, ya NEED quite a bit!)

Just for good measure, here's the Mrs. Dash turkey basting sauce recipe too:

Terrific Turkey Basting Sauce
Add 3 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend and 1 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Chicken Grilling Blend to 2 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth and ½ cup cubed unsalted butter. Simmer on low heat in a saucepan until butter is melted. Brush on turkey and baste often, about every 30 minutes.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

thanks.......