Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Big Buddy

Mingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shaker

OK I made this tonight and guess what. Hard Ball stage is about what 270-280 degrees? Well these turned out hard as a rock sheet. I broke them into pieces and put them into a ziplock bag, sure some one will like them at work. What did I do wrong? I did them slow for about 15-18 minutes, then turned the heat up. I also did a double batch in a 10 qt stock pot.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Big Buddy

mlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on up

Mingo, I'm so sorry these didn't turn out for you. It sounds like you cooked them exactly like I do. The only difference may be the timing of when the temp hits 270 and how long it takes you to dump them out. Try to never let the temp get above 270. As soon as that temp is reached, turn off the heat, dump in the vanilla, and get them out of the pan. My niece has tried many times to make these but has never had success - I think she has a bad thermometer and doesn't know how to check using a glass of water. I don't know if it makes any difference but I have a gas stove.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Big Buddy

Mingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shaker

so yours are soft? Must be if able to cut and wrap. Took them to work and no one complained....LOL

But I want soft caramels. I bought 2 bottles of the dark corn syrup at walmart for $2 each, so I have extra, might do another batch tonight and just cook it to a lower tempature,maybe soft stage.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Big Buddy

I found another recipe for caramels and made them today, they cooked to 245 degrees and turned out great. Will try yours next year and stop them at 245 degrees.

Wait, I can remember I was complaining as I was wrapping all the darn things, what do I mean I will do them next year.......LOL