Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 06:12 AM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP
Talking Laissez le bon temps rouler, Let the good times roll Potluck Gumbo

Potluck Gumbo

Gumbo is a Cajun and Creole favorite. This version is full of ham, shrimp, chicken giblets, and crab. Gumbo is traditionally served over hot cooked rice.

1 large slice (1/4 pound) precooked ham, diced

1 pound raw shrimp, shelled to tail and deveined

1-1/2 cups chicken giblets, parboiled and diced

1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1/4-inch rounds

1 medium onion, diced

1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chopped parsley

1/2 cup scallion tops, sliced thin

Pepper to taste

5 cups water

4 ounces frozen crab meat

Salt to taste

1 tablespoon gumbo file (see Note)

In large pot or Dutch oven, saute ham in its own border of fat, adding oil if ham fat is scant. Trim off any unrendered fat and set ham aside.

Saute shrimp in same pan until pink. Remove and set aside. Then saute chicken giblets.

Add okra, onion, green pepper, garlic, parsley, scallion tops and pepper. Add the water. Simmer for 1 hour. Add ham cubes, shrimp and crab meat. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes.

During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add salt to taste, then gumbo file. Serve over hot rice.

Yield: 6 servings

Note: Gumbo file is powdered sassafras leaf. It was originally made by the Choctaw Indians and is most easily obtained in Louisiana, but it can be bought in most shops specializing in seasonings.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

This sounded pretty tasty, so in spite of the fact that I really detest okra (unless its fried) [I mean. . .IS it gumbo if you leave out the okra?!], I tried it out today. Upped the crab to about a pound and added some chicken and sausage. By the time I had it ready I was having stabby stomach pains and wound up being sick. The S.O. said it was really good, or that it would be if it didn't have the okra in it! LOL The ONLY reason I went ahead and left the okra in is 'cause I thought HE liked it!

Thanks for the recipe, Mary. With a few modifications, I think this is gonna be a keeper for us!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

okra is good......but in small amounts
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
okra is good......but in small amounts
VERY, VERY, VERY small amounts! The pound called for in Mary's recipe is only about 16 oz too much.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Big Buddy

OK, hauled the rest of this 50 pound crockpot full of Gumbo (well, it FELT like 50 pounds) to work to share as today is Fat Tuesday! They must not have minded the okra, 'cause I've got about a cup left (of course all the crab and shrimp are gone)!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Big Buddy

Mingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shaker

This sounds great...........even with the okra in it. I do love fried okra tho