Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Big Buddy

tressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud of
Helpmarker Did I do the right thing?

The following is an article from today's paper. It's pretty self explanatory what happened.

I have been dealing with this freakin' farmers' school for 21 solid years now. Everything is hush-hush. I've had to fight some sort of battle for each kid at different ages; unfair to my kids type of things. I'm not the type of parent who sticks my nose in or stops any type of punishment if it's appropriate - and plenty of times my kids needed it. I've always gone as far as I could to make each child as independent as possible, only stepping in when it was apparent they were being walked on. Perhaps over 21 years, I've had to really get involved maybe 6 times.

I e-mailed the 2 local papers and local tv station site this morning. I had this paper call me for more info. I purposely never used my son's name. Obviously, they got it from the school. I do not mind my name being used. (Except for the fact that the school obviously knows who my kid is.) Needless to say, my son is less than thrilled.

WHAT WOULD ANY OF YOU HAVE DONE? Did I over react? In the past, I've called the school administration, had sit-downs (the type where they tell you what you want to hear to your face and then do whatever they darn well please when you leave), e-mailed questions - only to be 'humored'. I wanted to know exactly what happened, not rumors from the students.

"Lockdown revealed no danger

By CRAIG FOX/Finger Lakes Times
Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:07 PM CST

RUSHVILLE — School officials ordered Marcus Whitman High School locked down for about an hour Monday morning after four live .22-caliber bullets were found on a hallway floor and behind a door jamb.

An automated phone call from High School Principal Alan DeGroote informed the parents about the lockdown and that the building was checked by staff and Ontario County sheriff deputies before classes resumed.

“Yet again, our students and staff followed our emergency protocols, allowing for a smooth operation,” DeGroote told parents in another automated call.

Superintendent Michael Chirco said it took about 70 minutes for them to look through the building before determining it was safe. Two different type of bullets were found in a hallway on Wednesday, but on the recommendation of the sheriff’s department, there was no lockdown. There was also no automated call.

Chirco said parents weren’t told about the bullets either time because school officials believed no one was in danger; they suspect that a student may have left the bullets in his pocket after hunting or target shooting during February recess, then forgot they were in the pocket.

“We believe he dropped them, just to get rid of them,” Chirco said, adding that school officials believe the second incident involved “a prankster,” who may have wanted to see district officials’ reaction when it happened a second time.

But parent Tressa Turner, whose son, Jacob, is a sophomore, said that her son had told her about a Wednesday incident. Her son told her that teachers apparently got an e-mail at one point during the day, immediately locked the door and kept students in the classroom.

Chirco acknowledged that that’s what they did, but it was not an “announced lock down” because they wanted to “play down” the situation.

Turner insisted that parents should have been told about the bullets and the incident on Wednesday.

“I just feel we’re not told about a lot of things,” Turner said.

Chirco said that school officials weren’t trying to hide anything about what happened, but he understood how Turner and other parents might think they were.

Undersheriff Dave Tillman said district and sheriff’s officials do a “balancing act” when notifying the public because they worry about other students copying an incident, “disrupting school and avoiding classes.” "

-------------------

I'm feeling really guilty here for involving Jacob. And now he's telling me they made me sound 'dumb' in the paper. I thought I was doing something right.

PS - It also made front page.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Big Buddy

mlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on up

That's a tough one Tressa. As a parent, I would also want to know. I would be interested in knowing what the school is doing to track down how these bullets got in to the school. Two different instances involving two different types of bullets...it sounds like there could be something more going on. I don't think you should try to "play down" a situation when live bullets are involved. The safety of the students should be the schools first priority. Since you live in an area where the kids can use guns during recess, clearly there is going to be live ammunition in the school. It sounds to me like you don't have to worry about safety as much as you do school policy.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

It's just to bad they used your name.....they could have just written "a parent of a 8th grader (or whatever grade) who wishes not to be identified stated.........."
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

You're a concerned parent with a child in public school, which should have no secrets. I'm not sure this is the type of thing that SHOULD be kept on the "down low." The media did you a favor. . .should there be any retaliation by the school or administrators, you can approach the school board, or even call the media in again and identify adverse actions as retaliation. For my $.02, ya done good.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

you did the right thing................but they should of left your names out.