11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Slow Cooked Bean and Cornbread Casserole
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16-ounce) red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (16-ounce) pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can (16-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8.5-ounces) cream-style corn
- Lightly grease slow cooker. In a skillet over medium heat, cook onion and green bell pepper until tender. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in kidney beans and pinto beans. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, and hot sauce.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Stir in milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and cream-style corn. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 1/2 to 2 more hours. Serve.
"resident shameless hussie"