Make your own dishwasher detergent and tips
If you’d like to save some money and know exactly what you’re washing your dishes with, try a homemade automatic dishwasher detergent.
TIP 1 - This detergent is easy to make and you may already have the ingredients to need, borax and washing soda!
TIP 2 - Pour equal part washing soda and borax into a plastic pitcher with a small spout, this will make it easier for you to pour. Once they’re both in there, seal the top and shake it well to incorporate the ingredients - then label the pitcher so every knows what’s in there.
TIP 3 - That’s it - all you need to do is add the same amount of the homemade version as you would the commercial version.
TIP 4 - While you’re saving money on the detergent, keep it going and forget the expensive rinse aid - add straight white vinegar to the reservoir instead. It will help rinse and clean the dishwasher with each use!
Powdered automatic dishwashing detergent is an indispensable cleanser in any home - even if you don't have a dishwasher!
1. Mix a quarter cup into a gallon of hot water and you have the perfect cleanser for painted walls and woodwork. Remember when you're washing walls work from the bottom up so you don't get streaks!
2. A little detergent on a damp sponge will clean crayon and pencil marks of walls too!
3. A box in the bathroom will help you cut easily through tough hard water stains and soap scum in bathtubs and showers. It will also put a nice shine on your toilet bowl, just sprinkle some in, let it sit for an hour or so and scrub away your stains.
4. Keep some in the laundry room, wet a stain, dab some detergent onto it, then launder as usual.
5. To whiten whites mix a half a cup of detergent into a gallon of hot water and soak overnight. Then wash the items in hot water.