Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Big Buddy

Christy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributer
Default Help! Braces 4 my 8 yr. old son.

My 8 year old son has to get braces. I know it is a common procedure.
I have had 2 opinions. The last ortho wanted to put him in a mechanism that has replaced the old head gear. This thing looked SCARY! My son said "NO WAY"!!! I took his side and told the ortho that if he is that much against it then to come up with another plan. I believe it was called a "Herpst Mechanism". Has anyone had any experience with this?
Also has anyone had a child as young as mine have to get braces?
The orthos second plan he wants to use partial braces (he still has baby teeth) and he wants to use a permanent retainer, this is something we cannot take out. He will have one on top and on bottom. This is the part he is nervous about. Anyone have any experience with this I would appreciate any advice etc.
My son is not afraid of the braces part, just the retainer that he cannot take out. His friends at school can take theirs out and they have lost them, broke them..etc and the ortho said he will not use a retainer that kids that young can take out since they are not responsible enough at such a young age to respect that they are expensive to replace.
Ok, thanks for reading and I would really appreciate ANY advice or comments.
Christy
Old 06-02-2006, 08:03 AM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

i'm sorry that i can't say i have experienced it but i think the doctor knows what's best for your son. it's not like he'll have braces forever. i'm sure it's for just a few years. and it's better to get it done now than later. i'm sorry. i wish i could be more help to you. just think what a great smile he will have when it's all over and he's still young
Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Big Buddy

Christy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributerChristy is a wonderful contributer

I agree. It will help his speech too! He cannot pronounce his "L's" too good. I guess the part that bothers me is he is so young and the permanent retainer. But we must take action now because his permanent teeth that need to come in next have no room because he has such gaps on his front 4 teeth.
You know it's pretty bad I am fretting over this. I lost my oldest son to cancer when he was 3. Went through many awful procedures with him. I guess when I know my kids hurt I do. My son is nervous about the permanent retainer part, he is ok with the braces. His first appointment will take 2 hours! That will be tough for him. He got his daddys teeth! I wished he would've gotten mine, they are good! LOL
Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Big Buddy

emtluvs2cook is on a distinguished road

My cousin didn't get hers until she was 13 or 14. Her ortho made her wait, said she needed all her permanent teeth and no baby teeth. She got them off this year, and her teeth are perfect. Cost my aunt like $6000. Yipes....I was never fortunate enough to get them. I would have liked to, because I have a tooth that sticks out a little in the front. My college roommate said she couldn't picture me any differently, said it gave me my"character". Oh well....Maybe you could get a second opinion. I don't think I would make him do anything that he resists alot, like the big face thing. He probably fears being embarrassed or picked on.

glow Good friends make you smile...even when you don't feel like smiling glow
Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Big Buddy

Leanne,
I got 2 opinions, they both said he needs braces now since he has no room for his perms to come in. He has way too much spacing in the perms that have already came in. I thought he would have to wait but both the orthos said they would attach 4 brackets, top and bottom molars, then do rubber bands to the perms he has in the front which he has 4 on top and 4 on bottom in the front. Chance is getting excited, he said he will be glad he can say his "L's". I prayed for God to make him strong, it's a lot to expect out of an 8 year old to go sit in an office for 2 hours while someone is working in their mouth. I had his teeth cleaned yesterday and he did good, but its even hard for me to hold my mouth open that long..lol. My boy is pretty tough, I just need to relax and let the orthos fix him up! It helps chatting with you all on here. I am definently against the herpst mechanism thing, I just cannot imagine having that in his mouth! But luckily the same thing can be done, it will just take a little longer and cost more, but that is ok. He is not scared at all about the braces thank goodness.
Thanks for sharing this with me.
Christy
Old 06-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Big Buddy

Deb is a jewel in the rough

Christy, I hear you loud and clear. I have a daughter that had spacing in her front teeth. I was told she needed braces. One of her bicusp(?) came out too early so they were afraid that the area would close up and she would not have any room for her perms and things would get even more screwed up (and they were pretty bad already). Well, She put the braces on at age 9. She had them on for THREE long years! I was told she was going to have head gear, which by the way she never got because it was never "time" and she said NO WAY which made it difficult anyway. Also she just had the braces on the top teeth. After three years, they wanted to put them on her bottom teeth for another two years. I said enough is enough. Her teeth were straight on the top and her bottoms were not that bad in my opinion. I figured she needed a break. At age 13 her molars and the last of her baby teeth started to fall off, making her teeth crooked AGAIN! Needless to say she needs braces again. I called the ortho, and like nothing, they said, oh yes sometimes that happens. UGH! It has been a total nightmare! I wish they would have just given her a spacer! As for the retainer.. get the permanent one, because he will loose it or simply not wear it. I was always looking for my daughter's retainer. One time in the school trash bin because she left it in her lunch bag and there was no way I was going to spend another $600. So to make a long story short... NO to the braces and yes to the permanent retainer. I wish you lots of luck and I hope you have better success than I did.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Big Buddy

Deb is a jewel in the rough

Let me give you another bit of advise. If you have a dentist that you feel comfortable with, ask HIM for his opinion. A good dentist has seen alot and can give you some good feeback. Oh and another thing, lots of kids have permanent retainers for different reasons. Get their opinion. I'm sure it'll be fine. Remember, it can always be taken off. This was a great struggle for me because like you, I wanted to consider my child's feelings and wanted to make the best decision for her. Don't worry, I think you'll be ok.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Big Buddy

sckayla is a jewel in the rough
Default Our experience

I took my children to the dentist for the six month cleaning and when the dentist got to my middle daughter he said you may want to take her to your orthodontist for him to take a look at her teeth. Now our dentist had to pull one of my middle daughter teeth over a year ago one in the way back and he put in a permanent spacer to hold open the space well the slightest shift in the tooth on the other side that the permanent spacer is attached to could make a big mess. In our case that is just what happened. We had the permanent spacer taken out and started phase one of her braces once phase one is complete she will also have a permanent retainer until we can start phase 2 when she gets all of her adult teeth. Both our dentist and our orthodontist said in a long run it will save her lots of problems later and will save us lots of money also . They have both been great to us so far both our dentist and our orthodontist and have done a great job with our oldest daughters teeth we faith in what they are trying to do for our childrenís teeth. Our oldest got her braces on when she was 10 and she was just 12 on May 13th and will be getting her braces off on June 6th as for our middle daughter she got hers on two months ago an she is 7 and will be 8 in September and in the 2 months she has had them on you can see what a difference they have made so far. She will only have to have the braces on for a year and then the permanent retainer until we can start and then finish with phase two.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Big Buddy

Deb and Stacy,
Thank you so much. That is what I was reaching for was people that have been through it with their kids. It is different when its YOUR child that is facing it. I have seen lots of kids with braces and never thought much about it, well now I am! LOL! I prayed about it last night and this morning woke up with a good feeling and I am going to go with the dentist that wants to put in the permanent retainer and he is also doing the first phase of braces right away. I REALLY appreciate you both sharing your stories with me, it really helps to hear from other Moms that have been through it. Like I said before my oldest went through cancer, he lost his battle, and I know this brace thing is not a big deal but when it's my child and they have anything they have to face that makes them sad then I am sad. My heart hurts when my kids get splinters in their fingers! We live on a ranch and that happens alot, along with cactus, bumps, bruises when we brand our calves, I just hurt when my kids hurt no matter how big or small the situation is.
Chance, my son, told me last night that he wants to hurry and get his braces, he has been teased by one boy in school about his teeth and he wants to get them better he said. I told him that we will make them all better and he needs to be thankful that this is something that CAN be corrected because there are so many things that other children face that CANNOT be fixed. I absolutely LOVE being a Mom, I just pray to God everyday that I always do right by them and make the right decisions for them. Thanks again for taking the time to support me with your advice, it means the world to me!
Hugs, Christy
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

From birth my sons lower jaw always protruded a bit (underbite) Took him to a pediatric dentist from day one and they were always pushing this particular headgear to stop the lower jaw from growing.
I always was uncomfortable with a 4 year old wearing headgear for a few years so I never had it done.
It occurred to me that if they stopped the lower jaw from growing what would happen to the bone. I then thought of pics I have seen with chinese girls whose feet were put in wooden blocks so they wouldn't grow.
Can you picture my sons jaw when he stopped growing??? All I kept thinking of was TMJ and 10's of thousands of dollars in dental expenses
I switched dentists and went to a more conservative one who told me to watch an wait. Boy am I glad I did. He is now 9 and his jaw is starting to correct itself now that permanent teeth are coming in.
My advice is go with your gut.
Another recommendation is to get another opinion or 2 or 3.
Good Luck