Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Little Buddy

12win is a jewel in the rough

Birds are easy to take care of. There are bird books out there that will tell you what all is needed for a healthy, happy bird. I imagine that you can find
them at your local library or visit a pet store and browse their book selection.

Consider what you expect from a pet . . . some birds are very human oriented, some are not . . . consider noise levels, etc. The main needs for birds is a cage that is a suitable size for them, a healthy diet (pellets are recommended), toys to play with, and a safe environment. Our first birds were parakeets (budgerigars) and I still keep some of them. They have beautiful voices, can be trained to talk (boys more than girls), and are fairly cheap investments as far as pets go. Lifespans and prices for birds vary greatly. The big danger to birds is letting it out where it can fly out the door or into things like ceiling fans, stoves, etc. I use corn cob litter for cage lining so clean-up is farily painless too.

Birds do shed. Their skin flakes and it produces dust so the larger the bird, the more chance for allergies.

Hope that helps a little . . . at least in the feathered category.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Big Buddy

lindsey-star is on a distinguished road

Most birds are pretty easy to entertain and some are more demanding, even in the same species of bird! I have one very cuddly, fun-loving bird and one destructive, tempermental bird. Of course, one was hand raised and the other I adopted from someone who couldn't care for it...so I think the more love you show them, the more they'll show back.

Everyone has different views on leashes, wing clipping, foods, vitamins, showers, etc. I think the easiest way to figure out all of these things is to see what your bird responds to best. Some birds like certain things and some dont.

The most trying of tasks with a bird is cleaning the cage. I line the bottom with newspaper and just dump the tray and replace the newspaper every other day. I have small birds so they *USUALLY* don't make that big of a mess (as far as poopy goes). Seed guards go a LOGN way though...otherwise you'll be vaccuming for days.

Cockatiels are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

The truth is more important than the facts.
-FLW
Old 02-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Big Buddy

JeffGordonsNo1Fan is a jewel in the rough
Default hmmm...

So much to think about....I know we have to eventually gt her somethign of her own...I am just not sure what or when. At least I have some time to think about it.

I have always wanted a bird, but they seem so..unloving. I guess it depends on the bird like you said. ANd can you train a bird to poop only in its cage? I bet not... ugh
Old 02-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Little Buddy

Vanessa is a jewel in the rough
Default Here ya go Karen! Puppies

5wks (35.jpg

I had to really crop this to fit. I hope it works
Old 02-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Big Buddy

AWWW!
I couldn't figure out how to do mine of Mango...darn it. I will keep trying.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Big Buddy

Red face attached?

IT WORKED!

Ladies and Gentlemen....here is MANGO the amazing hairless cat! (Yes he does have SOME fur as you see on his paws, and he does get a soft winter coat) Isn't he sweet?
mangotest.jpg
Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Little Buddy

Vanessa is a jewel in the rough

Wow. What a great picture. cute cat!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Big Buddy

Awww thank Vanessa! Most people think he is weird...but I just love him!
Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Little Buddy

sher0709 is a jewel in the rough

my mother had a pot belly pig for a pet a while ago...she was sooo cute! and she had her 1 ear pierced too..sounds wierd, but the vet did it. she had a bow for every season for her too....if i can find a picture i will upload it.
i used to take it for walks on a leash...people would take a second look back and say "what is that???"
she ended up getting to clingy to my parents and didn't want anyone else around or he would chase them!
they ended up bringing her to a farm not too far away where they had alot of these kinds of pigs! i wonder how big he is now???
Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

Lindsey-Star I never knew birds could be destructive.
I was outside with my dog today and this huge hawk swooped out of the sky and went after my neighbors miniature Great Dane. How scary. I managed to scare it off. I don't understand why people let their animals wander. If I hadn't been outside ..........

Last edited by Christine : 02-17-2006 at 02:51 PM.