Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Big Buddy

Oceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising star
Default Sales Tax

Intrastate or Interstate sales taxes - what's the story? How does it affect internet purchases? I'm in Calif. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Karen is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to all

I'm really not an expert on that kind of stuff. From what I understand, you're only charged sales tax if the store has a location in the state you live in.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Big Buddy

SLance68 is a jewel in the rough

That is partially true. If you purchase a item off line and don't pay sales tax for the state you live in you are required to contact the Department of Revenue for your state and get a form for a 1 time tax remittance and pay the sales tax yourself. Our company got audited a couple of years ago and got busted for purchasing computers on line and not remitting the sales tax. This applies to businesses and individuals. I know no one does it but it is a law and most people are unaware of the law regarding sales tax remittance.

The company you are purchasing from should have a sales tax number for all states if they are shipping to all states - they do not have to have a retail/store in every state they are just required to sign up with every Dept of Revenue and collect/pay the sales tax to each state. If the company does not charge you sales tax you are still responsible for the tax.

Last edited by SLance68 : 11-25-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Big Buddy

Oceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising starOceangirl is a rising star

Thanks. The only reason it came up was Dick's Sporting mentions sales tax applicable for only 4 states and listed California! Never seen that before. I know the closest bricks and mortar store they have is in Nevada. So it sounds like they follow the law. As an aside...fat chance I'll ever contact the Feds and ask them how much I owe!!!