West Virginia Hotdog Chili
1/2 cup shortening
2 TBSP. onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
5 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 TBSP. paprika
2 1/2 TBSP. chili powder
1 1/2 TBSP. black pepper
1 TBSP. cayenne pepper (can use 1/2 TBSP. - 2 TBSP.)
2 TBSP. salt
2 1/2 TBSP. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 - 1 cup cracker meal
1. Saute meat, garlic and onions till browned
2. Add spices, stir well
3. Add about a quart of water and cook over low heat for 3-4 hours
4. Add a little water occasionally to keep from sticking
5. When chili is cooked, remove from heat and add 1/2 to 1 cup of cracker meal & stir well
6. Another trick that you can do is place the pot in the bottom of the kitchen sink and run an electric hand mixer around briefly - this makes for a finer ground meat texture & is closer to the "real thing"
After the first batch you will learn to vary (slightly) the blend of peppers and cumin...the cinnamon is critical but your chili should never have a cinnamon taste.
This chili freezes well and you may cut the recipe in half, but NO more!