Jet lag occurs when the body has trouble adjusting to travel across time zones.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these recommendations to minimize symptoms:
- Get plenty of sleep before you leave.
- Avoid alcohol consumption right before, during, and right after your flight.
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals and healthy portion sizes.
- Get plenty of exercise during your trip.
- If you take sleep medication, use it only for a few days.
- Follow the local schedule of your new time zone, not the old one.