Provided you don't have a drinking problem, are of legal age, and are not pregnant, the U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions for drinking alcohol responsibly:
- Never drive a car if you've been drinking.
- Drink alcohol with food -- never on an empty stomach.
- Drink slowly and in moderation to avoid severe impairment.
- If you are taking any medications, don't drink alcohol without checking first with your doctor.
- Alcohol is not safe -- even in moderation -- if you have a history of alcohol abuse.