07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Two-Tone Pink Raspberry Bavarians
- Prep Time -
- Cook Time -
- Serves 12
YAHOO.Media.Dtk.ArticleTools.IM.setIntroMsg('Check out this recipe on Yahoo! Food:');
2. Cooking Directions
- 1 pint raspberries; reserve some for garnish
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sugar Rose Petals or Raspberries
- Press raspberries through a fine sieve to extract puree and juices. Discard seeds remaining in sieve. Puree should equal about 1 cup; reserve.
- Rinse 12 two-ounce flared baba molds with cool water (do not dry and the bavarians will be easier to unmold), and set aside. Pour 1/2 cup cool water into a small heatproof bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Leave to soften.
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Gradually whisk in the sugar. Whisk in the lemon juice and lemon zest until thoroughly combined. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water, and whisk constantly until mixture is pale yellow and thick, 5 to 8 minutes. When whisk is lifted, the batter should leave a trail resembling a ribbon. Remove from the heat, and whisk about 1 minute to cool slightly.
- Place softened gelatin over same simmering water. Heat, stirring, for about 1 minute, until all crystals have dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool 2 minutes. Whisk into the lemon mixture.
- Set bowl over ice, and stir with a rubber spatula until mixture is cool, but not starting to set, 2 to 4 minutes. (Mixture must be cool, or whipped cream will melt.) Remove. Whip cream to soft peaks. Fold cream into lemon mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup of raspberry puree to make light-pink shade. Use a spoon to fill six molds with mixture, tapping down on counter occasionally to remove air bubbles. Add remaining raspberry puree to bowl. Fill remaining six molds with darker-pink mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 6 hours, or overnight. May be made 1 to 2 days ahead.
- To unmold, quickly dip each mold into bowl of hot water. Dry with a kitchen towel. Run a warm knife around rim to break any air locks. Tap mold down sharply on plate or work surface to loosen. Top bavarians with a Sugar Rose Petal or Sugar Raspberry.
Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.