Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer
Exclamation Warning: phishing email posing as paypal

I received an email from Paypal that stated someone was trying to add an email to my account "laptopseller@yahoo.com" When I entered my logon info, I used a fake passwork AND IT LET ME THROUGH. (warning 1). Then it took me to a security page where it asked for my credit card and banking information. (warning 2) I knew it was a fake. I sent the email to Paypal, and I am awaiting a reply.

BE SAFE IN SPACE
Old 03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer
Default return email from Paypal

Thank you for bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We can
confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal. The
website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or used
by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully. Please do
not enter any personal or financial information into this website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this
fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal account
and change your password and secret question and answer information. Any
compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate
parties.

If you notice any unauthorized activity associated with your PayPal
transaction history, please immediately report this to PayPal by
following the instructions below:
Old 03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Thumbs up

Wow....that is scary stuff....

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Nan. Forewarned is forearmed I say Please post and let us know what PayPal said in regards to the investigation.

Lori Ann
Old 03-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Big Buddy

pepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIP
Updateicon The real PayPal replies

PayPal gives a standard reply when anyone forwards suspicious emails
to them. They don't usually follow up with details.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:21 AM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

I get these dang things quite often. Forward any email like that to spoof@paypal.com.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Big Buddy

LadyCrimson is a jewel in the rough

Please keep in mind Paypal or Ebay will never email you this way.
If they have a concern with your account, you will get a private message on their website AFTER you log in, Like we do here. NEVER NEVER click through one of the phoney links provided in the fake emails. I have been told that they can contain trojan viruses, tracking cookies, or even worms. It could do a lot of damage. If you are concerned about the issue, go through your regular link or type in the URL and go there yourself to see if there is really an issue with your account. (ie www.paypal.com)
Also if you place your cursor over the fake link and NOT click, you will see the REAL address come up either in a little window or down below in the browser bar. This is another good way of telling if the Link is a fake or not.
But really, know that any letter from Ebay or Paypal, asking for ANY kind of personal info is a fake. I even got an innocent looking survey from what I thought was Ebay, just hours after making a purchase. I thought it was real. They were even going to give me a $5 Ebay GC to complete it. Until I got to the next page and they wanted all my Paypal info to deposit it in my Paypal account. Boy did I learn quick. These thieves are getting trickier and trickier. Keep your guard up and always, always question their validity until you know for sure.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Big Buddy

charlottesue is a jewel in the rough

my husband and I have been getting e-mails from what looks like citibank wanting us to update our account information.......we had heard about these.....thankfully....and didn't even open them........they never give up do they?!?!?!?..........
Old 03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Mentor

Jakeysmom is a jewel in the rough
Default They really don't give up...

I just got one of those fake PayPal emails too...at first I wasn't sure, so I forwarded it to the spoof@paypal.com address. I got their standard reply too.

Anyway, I have noticed that the fake emails always use my ID name--whether it's my Ebay or Paypal ID...never my real name(at least not yet). It is scary how far people go to try and trick us!

As you all have said, better to be prepared and in the know!

Carolyn
Old 03-13-2006, 02:12 PM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

The first time i got one i freaked thinking it was real but then i read the whole thing carefully and realised it was fake. now when i get one i just forward it on
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Big Buddy

pamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributer

I get these emails a lot too. I always forward them to Paypal and they always reply that they are following up to try and find out who sent them. The first one I got really worried me but when I went on the paypal site I could tell it wasn't from them. I really hate it that their are so many dishonest people out there!!