Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Big Buddy

bluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud of
Default Flight 1549 crew gets laughs on 'Letterman'

NEW YORK (AP) - He has gotten a phone call from the president, a key to New York City and a standing ovation at a Broadway show. Now the pilot who safely landed his crippled jetliner in the Hudson River has gotten another all-American tribute - some ribbing from David Letterman.

Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his fellow crew members from US Airways Flight 1549 appeared Tuesday on the "Late Show with David Letterman" and retold the dramatic story of the Jan. 15 flight - this time, with plenty of laughs.

An example, according to the show's transcript: Letterman mentioned a passenger who opened a door in the rear of the plane, letting in water from the near-freezing river until it was closed again. Sullenberger jokingly replied, "I think it was Steve Martin who did that," referring to the comedian.

And when the host asked whether the Airbus A320 was designed to float, Sullenberger deadpanned, "We were very glad that this one remained intact and did."

The captain even addressed his now-ubiquitous nickname: "With a name like Chesley, Sully is just going to have to happen."

Sullenberger's crew mates generated several chuckles of their own, as when Letterman marveled at the plane's passage 1,000 feet over the George Washington Bridge minutes after birds apparently flew into and disabled both the aircraft's engines.

"It's better than zero feet," first officer and co-pilot Jeff Skiles said.

On a serious note, Sullenberger said the crew members have experienced some trouble sleeping, distractedness and flashbacks.

"You know, each of us, all five of us, have experienced some of those typical symptoms. It's just human nature," said Sullenberger, who was joined as well by flight attendants Sheila Dail, Donna Dent and Doreen Welsh.

Asked whether she was in shock after the emergency landing and safe rescue of all 155 people aboard, Welsh said, "Still in shock, I think - I mean, I'm on the David Letterman show."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Big Buddy

bluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud ofbluebird has much to be proud of
Default First lady Michelle Obama is Vogue cover model

NEW YORK (AP) - It's official: Michelle Obama is the first lady of American fashion, appearing on the cover of the March issue of Vogue.

Every first lady since Lou Hoover - save Bess Truman - has been featured in the high-fashion magazine, but Mrs. Obama is only the second to grace the cover. She appears wearing a magenta silk sheath dress by Jason Wu, who also designed her inaugural gown.

Vogue's editor at large Andre Leon Talley called his interviews with Mrs. Obama ahead of President Barack Obama's swearing-in ceremony "one of the best experiences of my life."

"She's so accessible, natural and normal. There's nothing affected about her," he said.

Much of the eight-page feature inside is devoted to Mrs. Obama's self-described role as "mom in chief" to 10-year-old Malia and 7-year-old Sasha.

"I'm going to try to take them to school every morning, as much as I can," she said. "But there's also a measure of independence. And obviously there will be times I won't be able to drop them off at all. I like to be a presence in my kids' school. I want to know the teachers; I want to know the other parents."

Being Vogue, though, the conversation eventually turns to clothes.

Mrs. Obama said she is aware of how her wardrobe is being scrutinized, but she makes no apologies for her choices - even the Election Night combination of ripped-from-the-runway, fashion-forward dress and plain-Jane cardigan.

"I'm not going to pretend that I don't care about it," she said. "But I also have to be very practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear - people just have different tastes."

She did choose outfits for the Vogue photos from labels she has worn before: Wu, who made her inaugural gown; Narcisco Rodriguez, the designer of that Election Night dress; and J. Crew, which she and her children have famously worn.

Most cover models have their clothes chosen for them by Vogue, or at least editors work as advisers. Not this time.

"She doesn't need any help. She loves fashion and knows what works for her," Talley said. "She's never had a conversation with me about, 'What do you think?' or 'How did this look?' And I'm glad for that."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Big Buddy

Default DA asks police for more investigation of Brown

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Prosecutors said Tuesday they want more evidence from police before determining whether to press charges against Chris Brown, who's accused in a domestic dispute that reportedly involves pop superstar Rihanna.

Police presented a case regarding Brown on Tuesday, but did not release any of its details, Los Angeles County District Attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said. She said the office would have no further comment on the case.

Brown was arrested Sunday night after surrendering to police, who sought the 19-year-old singer when a woman identified him as he attacker during a fight the night before. Numerous media outlets, citing sources and police officials who were not named, have identified the woman as 20-year-old Rihanna, Brown's longtime girlfriend.

Though an initial police news release indicated that they were investigating a battery on a woman who was injured, Brown was booked only on suspicion of making a criminal threat, a felony. Police have said that prosecutors would determine what charges, if any, were warranted.

The district attorney's kicking the case back to police could signal that prosecutors are seeking to build stronger charges against Brown; or it could mean the current evidence is too flimsy or has holes that would drop it to a misdemeanor or make it go away altogether, Loyola University law professor Stan Goldman said.

"Sending it back certainly isn't the death penalty," Goldman said.

"If you're Chris Brown," he added, "it's both bad and good."

A police spokeswoman said the department had no comment about the district attorney's decision.

The department has said it was alerted to the incident in the upscale Hancock Park neighborhood by a 911 call, but have provided few official details beyond the initial report. Brown's attorney and spokesman have not returned multiple calls and e-mails seeking comment since Sunday.

Brown remains free on $50,000 bail.

The allegations have at least momentarily tarnished Brown's squeaky-clean image. At least one major sponsor, Wrigley, has suspended ad campaigns featuring the singer, who has scored with hits such as 2005's "Run It!" and a Grammy-nominated duet with Jordin Sparks, "No Air."

WAKS-FM, a Cleveland-area radio station has stopped playing Brown's music until the allegations are resolved after outraged listeners called to criticize the singer. Stations in Pittsburgh and Indianapolis also reportedly pulled Brown's music.

Brown has withdrawn from public appearances in Phoenix scheduled for this weekend before the NBA All-Star game. Rihanna on Tuesday postponed a planned concert in Malaysia.

Brown and Rihanna, whose real name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, skipped planned performances at Sunday's Grammy Awards, leaving fellow recording artists to try to make sense of the allegations.

Kanye West, who toured with Rihanna, said on Ryan Seacrest's morning radio show Tuesday morning that the reports of abuse were "devastating."

"I feel like, just as a person, I don't care how famous she is or even if she just worked at McDonald's, that should never happen," West said on the show, which is broadcast on KIIS-FM in Los Angeles. "It should never come to that place."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

thanks for the updates
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Big Buddy

Default Sting thrills Romania with Elizabethan music

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - Sting thrilled a Romanian audience of 4,000 with his renditions on the lute of Elizabethan music interspersed with classics from his Police days such as "Roxanne."

The British musician teamed up with Bosnian musician Edin Karamazov to give a 75-minute concert Tuesday night, performing melodies from "Songs From the Labyrinth," a tribute to Elizabethan composer John Dowland.

Sporting a full beard, Sting gave a concert described as "divine and relaxing" by Romanian news agency Agerpres.

Senate chairman Mircea Geoana praised the "refined" concert and called Sting "a great musician."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Big Buddy

Default British rock band Oasis to play first China dates

BEIJING (AP) - British rock band Oasis will play their first China concerts in Beijing and Shanghai in early April, the musicians announced on their Web site.

The shows will take place April 3 at Beijing's Capital Arena and April 5 at the Shanghai Grand Stage as part of a world tour promoting their latest release, "Dig Out Your Soul."

The band will also play a previously announced show in Hong Kong on April 7.

"Oasis are excited to announce their first-ever shows in China as part of their current world tour," the band said in the announcement.

Formed in Manchester in 1991, Oasis broke out with their 1994 album, "Definitely Maybe," as part of the 1990s Britpop explosion.

Oasis is one of a growing number of Western musical acts traveling to China, following the Rolling Stones and Elton John. Growing exposure to foreign tastes has created fans among middle-class Chinese, although audiences at such concerts tend to be drawn heavily from China's large expatriate population.

China closely regulates live performances, even more so since Icelandic singer Bjork embarrassed authorities by shouting "Tibet!" at the end of a Shanghai concert last year.

Bands must submit set lists beforehand, and the Rolling Stones were asked not to play several songs with suggestive lyrics during their 2006 China debut, including "Brown Sugar,""Honky Tonk Woman,""Beast of Burden" and "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Last year, Harry Connick Jr. had to make last-minute changes to his show in Shanghai because an old song list was mistakenly submitted to Chinese authorities to secure the performance permit for the concert. Authorities insisted he play the songs on the original list, even though his band didn't have the music for them.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Big Buddy

Default Gwyneth Paltrow, Courteney Cox party with Beyonce

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Beyonce hugged Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg chatted up Jay-Z at a fundraising dinner honoring Gwyneth Paltrow and Courteney Cox at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

Hanks was the master of ceremonies for Saks Fifth Avenue's 14th annual "Unforgettable Evening" Tuesday to benefit the Women's Cancer Research Fund. He and wife Rita Wilson, along with Spielberg and wife Kate Capshaw, serve as honorary chairs of the charity, which funds innovative cancer research. Paltrow and Cox were recognized for their dedication to cancer causes.

Paltrow, who helped establish a research fund in memory of her father, appeared deeply touched by the honor.

"I'm like a housewife in England," the 36-year-old actress said. "I'm married to a singer. And now I'm here."

Paltrow's husband is Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, who won three Grammys with his band at Sunday's Grammy Awards. Martin missed Tuesday's party.

"My husband's in Japan," Paltrow said. "But I've got Jay-Z, so that's even better."

The A-list crowd nibbled on filet mignon and chocolate-covered strawberries, then finished with three songs from Beyonce.

Wearing a sparkly gold mini-dress and backed by an eight-piece, all-girl band, the entertainer opened with Etta James'"At Last" and boogied alongside two dancers during "Crazy in Love" and "Single Ladies."

Beyonce called Paltrow "one of my favorite people in the world."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Big Buddy

Default Duo's Grammy wins could raise Nashville's profile

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - If Robert Plant can rejuvenate his career in Nashville, who's next?

What began as an unorthodox pairing of the golden-tressed singer for Led Zeppelin with bluegrass chanteuse Alison Krauss captured five Grammys on Sunday, including album of the year for their country-inflected collaboration "Raising Sand." The duo also won record of the year for "Please Read the Letter."

Music Row insiders expect others to follow Plant's lead.

"I'm sure a lot of people will look at the idea of Nashville collaborations in a different light," said Brian Philips, general manager of Country Music Television.

"Surely, Robert Plant did not feel compromised coming to Nashville. He felt energized," remarked Mike Dungan, president of Capitol Records Nashville.

The last country projects to win the Grammy's top album award were the Dixie Chicks'"Taking the Long Way" in 2006 and the "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?" movie soundtrack in 2001.

Like "Raising Sand," the "O, Brother" soundtrack also was directed by producer T Bone Burnett and featured Krauss and others paying tribute to rootsy American music. And like "Raising Sand," it was not a mainstream country release.

"I don't think this project ever really aimed for country radio. I don't think that was ever on their marketing plan," said David Ross, publisher and editor of the trade publication Music Row.

Still, Ross said: "I believe very strongly that when something great comes out of Nashville it's good for the entire music industry."

Likewise, Philips said, "If anyone resents 'Raising Sand' and thinks that something that is purely Music Row driven should have taken that slot and captured the whole world's attention, I'd ask them to step forward. In 2008-2009, I don't know how anyone could begrudge them that win."

While the album was recorded in Nashville with Nashville musicians, it was mixed and mastered in Los Angeles and released on Burlington, Mass.-based Rounder Records. It has already gone platinum with a million in sales and is sure to get a boost from the Grammy exposure.

Nashville has long attracted rock and pop stars looking for a fresh sound, or at least a fresh start.

In the early days, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and the Everly Brothers recorded here. Neil Young and Paul McCartney cut songs in the 1970s. Today, it's Kid Rock, Jack White and Jessica Simpson.

During his acceptance speech, Plant said "Please Read The Letter" was "an old song that me and Jimmy Page wrote together post-Led Zeppelin, and it's been given that Nashville touch, and it feels pretty good."

Philips, who says he's been flooded with requests for copies of a CMT "Crossroads" performance show featuring Plant and Krauss, still finds the whole thing surprising.

"I don't know that anyone could have anticipated that Led Zeppelin's front man would find a new artistic peak in Nashville," he said.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Big Buddy

Default Nicollette Sheridan Leaving Desperate Housewives

ABC has confirmed to TV Guide that Nicollette Sheridan is leaving Desperate Housewives.

This isn't the first time it's been reported the actress, who plays real estate agent Edie Britt, will end her run on Wisteria Lane.

During the fifth season, show creator Marc Cherry revealed that Sheridan's character would be crossing a moral boundary that "will have have devastating consequences for her and lead to a shocking conclusion to her time on Wisteria Lane."

Sheridan, 45, denied she'd been fired.

"Please! Edie's going to be causing trouble. The house hags have done terrible, terrible things to Edie," she told USA Today in April. "There will only be one moment of true revenge when all of them are gone, and Edie remains!"

Sheridan was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2005 for her role on the TV drama.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Big Buddy

Default Aubrey O'Day will bare all in Playboy!

Aubrey O'Day will bare all in Playboy!

"In this society weíre all taught to cover ourselves and our thoughts up," she says. "Nudity is a beautiful thing."

The former Danity Kane singer posed for an eight-page nude pictorial in the magazine's March issue (on newsstands Feb. 13), but her body isn't the only thing she's baring.

"I've done it in cabs, clubs, everywhere," she reveals about her sex life.

O'Day, who has been linked with men such as DJ Cassidy, Donnie Wahlberg and R&B singer Jesse McCartney, admits that she has different priorities than most women.

"I want to be that girl who gives a guy the best sex he has ever had, the sex heíll never be able to get out of his head," she says.

The star also talks to Playboy about her friendship with porn star Jenna Jameson and her feud with Sean " Diddy" Combs.

"I was the only one who ever stood up to him," she bragged about arguing with the Making the Band producer over what she considered to be poor management.

Despite her self-proclaimed "bad girl" persona, she does believe there's more to her than the press shares.

"Most of the stuff youíve read about me is made up, and the best stuff about me you have yet to find out, O'Day, 25, says. "Iím more of a catch than anybody realizes."