Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP
Default Skin Care In Your 40's And 50's

40s
  • One of my favorite products for patients in their 40s is called Imedeen Time Perfection. These oral supplements are pricey, but they're also highly effective in minimizing fine lines and hydrating skin, which becomes drier with age, from the inside out.
  • In the 40s, skin's texture also tends to become more of a concern. Chemical peels can be a great way to smooth skin and treat sun spots and fine wrinkles. In your regular at-home regimen, be sure to use retinoids and products with glycolic acid to improve the evenness of your complexion and maintain the benefits of professional peels.
  • Dermal fillers start to have a particularly noticeable impact in the 40s. As far as fillers go, I love Restylane (for mild to moderate wrinkles) and Perlane (for deeper wrinkles) - research shows that they may also stimulate your skin to produce more collagen, meaning you get both short- and long-term benefits!
50s
  • If you're not already, consider taking a coenzyme Q10 supplement (100-200mg) every morning by age 50. Studies have shown that coenzyme Q10 helps prevent skin cancer, which commonly appears in this decade. Furthermore, cholesterol-lowering statin drugs decrease natural levels of coenzyme Q10; if you're taking such drugs, a supplement can be particularly beneficial.
  • Fraxel laser treatments are among my favorite professional procedures for patients in their 50s - it many cases, they're even an effective alternative to the surgical procedures my patients ask about. For example, I love the Fraxel for treating crepey eyelids and wrinkles around the eyes. It also successfully minimizes lines and age spots.
  • Menopausal and post-menopausal women who have elected not to do hormone replacement therapy should discuss topical estrogen creams with their dermatologists. As estrogen levels drop, skin tends to become drier and thinner, but topical treatments can improve skin's strength and texture.
  • With less estrogen to keep male hormones in check, post-menopausal women may also start to experience acne. Prescription retinoids like Retin-A, Differin, and Tazorac are a great option for treating acne (and fighting wrinkles too!), and tend to be easier for post-menopausal skin to tolerate than drying benzoyl peroxide products. One of the newer prescription retinoids, Ziana, also contains an acne-fighting antibiotic, making it a great option for anyone particularly bothered by blemishes.