Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Big Buddy

mlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on up
Default My Grandma's Caramel recipe

These are the best caramel's ever!! Enjoy!

1 C. sugar
3/4 C. dark corn syrup
1/2 C. butter
1 C. light cream or half and half
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter and 1/2 cup of cream; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add remaining 1/2 cup cream and cook slowly to very hard ball stage. Remove from heat, add vanilla.

Pour in to greased 8x8x2 pan. Let cool, cut, wrap in waxed paper.

I will often use light corn syrup and I normally double the recipe and pour in to a large jelly roll pan.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Big Buddy

beanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIP

Oh thank you!! Been waiting for this! Now gotta wait till I get to a store.They sound so good, I cant wait to try em!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Big Buddy

Stubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud of

My mom used to pour this over a cake and it was so yummy!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Big Buddy

Mingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrjb View Post
These are the best caramel's ever!! Enjoy!

1 C. sugar
3/4 C. dark corn syrup
1/2 C. butter
1 C. light cream or half and half
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter and 1/2 cup of cream; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add remaining 1/2 cup cream and cook slowly to very hard ball stage. Remove from heat, add vanilla.

Pour in to greased 8x8x2 pan. Let cool, cut, wrap in waxed paper.

I will often use light corn syrup and I normally double the recipe and pour in to a large jelly roll pan.
OK, how slow is slow??? How long does it usually take you to make a double batch?

I am going to definately make these.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

This looks really good and easy. Do you cut them into squares
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Big Buddy

mlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on up

I use a stock pot to make a double batch. I don't have a lot of patience so I will let them boil for about 10 minutes to see how far I get and then turn the heat up high to get 'em boiling hotter...they boil upwards - make sure your pot is deep. Don't toss them out if they don't turn out the first time...pour it over ice cream! I cut them in to strips and then cut the strips in to individual pieces, usually about 1-1/2" long.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Big Buddy

Mingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shakerMingo831 is a mover and a shaker

So are these hard carmels or soft ones? Reason I ask is that you boil them to a hardball stage.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo831 View Post
So are these hard carmels or soft ones? Reason I ask is that you boil them to a hardball stage.
I have the same question. If you don't take 'em to the hardball (I've played that game and lost before LOL) stage and just to soft, I imagine they'd make the softer caramels, which is kinda what I'm after. Hope your answer is "sure," you got it right! LOL

While the recipe isn't too difficult sounding, I'll bet the time put into making them, cutting and wrapping them are all time suckers Haw! We have a sucker recipe too.

Thank you for sharing your heirloom recipe with us (and for putting up with my feeble attempt at humor)!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Big Buddy

Sorry guys, I didn't follow up on your questions. These caramels are soft and they do not stick to your teeth! I have many crowns and bridges in my mouth and cannot eat caramels that you buy, but these are buttery in your mouth and don't stick!!!

One other thing, I always butter my pan that I pour them in but the area of impact where I pour them in the pan usually gets sticky because the hot caramel melts the butter and displaces it to the sides. I just use a spatula to loosen the caramels from the pan in that particular area.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Big Buddy

Thanks for letting us know they are soft. I will definately be making these.