Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP
Thumbs up Pasties

PASTIES
INGREDIENTS
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups lard
10 tablespoons ice water
2 pounds top round steak, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
5 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 turnips, peeled and cubed (or you can use rutabegga)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
note: you can also add sliced carrots
DIRECTIONS
Place the flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and the lard in a bowl. Quickly rub the lard into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles small peas. Pour in the ice water, and form into a ball. Add more water if it feels too dry. Divide the dough into 6 balls, and wrap in plastic. Chill one hour.
In a bowl, combine the meat, turnips, potatoes, onions, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
Roll out one of the balls on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Using a cake pan, trace a 9 inch circle in the dough; cut out the circle. Place about 1 1/2 cups of the meat mixture into the middle of the circle. Fold the edges of the circle up to meet along the top of the meat filling, and crimp the dough along the top to seal. Repeat until all dough is used up. With a spatula, transfer the pasties to an ungreased sheet.
Bake the pasties for 45 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot or at room temperature.
you would serve these beef pasties with a brown gravy…and a chicken pastie with chicken gravy
Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Big Buddy

Kathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributer

My grandparents were originally from the UP (Upper Michigan) where pasties were a staple for anyone that worked in the copper mines. My grandmother made the best and passed her recipe on to me. I use rhutabaga in mine. Ours were never served with gravy or made with chicken. We did also use pork in our pasties, and have made them with hamburger as well.

I think I'll make pasties and have my grandma over. She'll enjoy that! At 95 she still enjoys her recipes being made for her!

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

When we lived in MI we oftened ordered these when we were in the UP.

They were designed to be carried into the mine for lunch. Gravy would be messy.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

My hubby loves my pasties..........................
Old 12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Big Buddy

ashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIPashbabe is a MBB VIP

I was waiting for Krissy to come around and say something, ROFL!!

Con Amore, tutte cose sono possibili

inthekitchenwithme.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Big Buddy

alice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fansalice has a lot of fans

LOVE pasties!!! We had a shop that made them in the bay area. Think he closed and moved north to Marin County. Boy, I sure missed 'em!! Haven't had one in YEARS.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbabe View Post
I was waiting for Krissy to come around and say something, ROFL!!
I couldn't let you down now could i?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Big Buddy

Kathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributerKathy is a wonderful contributer

Krissy is pronouncing this with the long A sound isn't she? That's why there's going to be a "Do Not Disturb" sign on her door on New Year's Eve? She's sooooo naughty!

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Krissy is pronouncing this with the long A sound isn't she? That's why there's going to be a "Do Not Disturb" sign on her door on New Year's Eve? She's sooooo naughty!
She is saying PASTE-ies not PAST-ies

Enjoy your night behind the green door.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Big Buddy

bikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIP

MMMMM tHANK`S......