Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Big Buddy

hblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default The Quit Smoking Thread

I have been a smoker for over 25 years and cannot quit. But my son is 17 1/2 and started smoking so I must now quit so he will. My problem is I have never been successful at my many attempts to quit. Hubby quit cold turkey over 5 years ago but that has not worked for me. The patches help but once I stopped using them I started smoking again and actually smoke more now than before I started the patch. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

me
Old 04-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Big Buddy

sckayla is a jewel in the rough

What if you ask your doctor to put you on Zyban and also use the patch at the same time then once you are done with the patch (10 weeks later) continue with the Zyban for a few weeks more. Good luck I know how hard it is my husband quit with me but he quit cold turkey (I had to see my doctor).
Old 04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Big Buddy

Melissa is a jewel in the rough

I don't know what to tell you except that with alot of people when they wean themselves off of them they always have 'just a half' like 50 times a day. Hopefully knowing it's best for your son will help you.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Big Buddy

Michele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on up

I also quit cold turkey nearly 4 1/2 years ago. I couldn't stop smoking in front of my son (almost 1 at the time). I got a flu, realized I hadn't smoked in 18 hours and I was done. It wasn't easy. I wanted to smoke but I didn't. For me and a lot of people I know, going cold turkey worked best. That's what I recommend, even if you've tried and failed before. At some point, you still need to go through nicotine withdrawal. I say get it over with up front.

Does your state have a Stop Smoking hotline? I see ours advertised quite frequently. Maybe you could check into that and see what suggestions they have.

My heart goes out to you. I smoked 2-3 packs a day for nearly 21 years. I'm the person that would walk out of the movie to go smoke and did everything I could with a cigarette in her hands. If I can do it, anybody can ... especially you. I did it for my son, so can you.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Big Buddy

pamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributerpamsm is a wonderful contributer

My husband tried Zyban and the patches and they worked for awhile but never long term. He had accupuncture done and it worked great. He hasn't had a cigarette for 2 years. I am really proud of him.
A new treatment that his cousin tried was laser and he hasn't had a cigarette for 3 months.
Neither treatment is cheap but neither are cigarettes. Around here either treatment costs about $250.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Wink

Stopping smoking is one of the most difficult things you will ever attempt, I should know as I've stopped smoking three times,lol. The important thing is not to "beat yourself up" if you falter in what ever plan you try. If you cease smoking for a day, a week, a month or a year that is a mini success.

Here are some tips that worked for me, maybe they'll help you.

1) Designate areas of your house "smoke free" zones. I smoke but have to go ouside and that is inconvenient.

2) If you stop one habit you create a vacuum, fill it with another habit... for me this was drinking water when I felt like a smoke, sucking on sugar free hard candy, getting up and stretching your legs...etc.

3) Try and identify your trigger times...do you reach for a smoke when you're on the phone or if you're out being social?

4) Exercise...the less you smoke the more efficient your body bcomes and on average you will burn 300 calories less per day. Start small with a walk around your neighborhood and gradually build up to 30 mintues or more.

5) Make a list of all the reasons you want to stop smoking and read it each day...it might be to smell better, to breath better, to save money, to set a good example for your children....everyone has their own personal reasons.

6) If you have a moment of weakness and "sneak" a smoke it's okay....if you usually smoke a pack a day and you now smoke half a pack that is an accomplishment. After time it might just be 2 or 3 a day... Once you're down to 1 or 2 a day it will be much easy to stop all together.

Most important is to have a kind attitude towards yourself. You can do it even if it takes more than one attempt to be totally smoke free. I'm still working on my own path so I'll keep you in my prayers ..

Lori Ann
Old 04-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Big Buddy

Nancy is on a distinguished road

I also smoked for over twenty years~ I had a lot of allergies and it was getting harder and harder to breathe~ The hardest part for me was getting thru the first 2 days~ I did the patch for 2 days and once I did that, I told myself that I could do the rest on my own and just stopped the patch and never had another cigarette~ It has been almost 10 years since I have had a cigarette and I smoked about a pack and a half a day!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
I also smoked for over twenty years~ I had a lot of allergies and it was getting harder and harder to breathe~ The hardest part for me was getting thru the first 2 days~ I did the patch for 2 days and once I did that, I told myself that I could do the rest on my own and just stopped the patch and never had another cigarette~ It has been almost 10 years since I have had a cigarette and I smoked about a pack and a half a day!!!

Whenever I hear stories like yours it inspires me and makes me feel I will be able to quit for good! Thanks for posting your experience ..

Lori Ann
Old 04-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Little Buddy

Faye is on a distinguished roadFaye is on a distinguished road

You have taken the most important step and are on your way to being a smoke free mom! I would like to suggest you call the American Cancer Society and see if your state has a quite smoking program available. I worked there for a year as a "Quit-line Counselor". When various states sued the tobacco companies each state settled in different ways. Most states do have a contract with the American Cancer Society (ACS) in order to assist with this process. The majority of the states offer 6 to 8 weeks of individual 45 minute telephone counseling sessions with the same counselor, nicotine patches/gum during this time as well as asking your doctor to write an order for Prozac to help. And yes Prozac has actually assisted most people with remaining smoke free as compared to those that did not use this particular medication. This decision is for you and your doctor to discuss but I am sure she will help you choose what will work best for you. If your state is one of the many participating in this program you can use it regardless of income, access to health insurance etc. This is because all of it is FREE!!! Yes, free counseling, patches/gum and Prozac. The program has a good support system as well as a structured plan of action that will help you through the process. You can do it you just need "new tools in your tool box". I used to smoke 3 pks. per day and am very happy to say I am smoke free. Keep us posted on your progress and ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU NEED TO!!! ACS # 1-800-227-2345. The ACS website has a ton of information to help you. PROUD OF YOU
Old 04-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Big Buddy

Michele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on up

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp

Here is the direct link to the American Cancer Society.

I was excited to see someone else suggest your state's stop smoking program. I didn't know all the details, but the commercials really make quitting look possible. Whatever route you take, I really do believe you can and will do it.