Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Big Buddy

Erin46 is a jewel in the rough
Post I empathize

I smoked for quite a while and was up to 2-3 packs a day. I finally found a reason that to me was strong enough to quit. I had a neck injury and was in a collar and on lots of meds with surgery being a possibility when the doctor asked me if I smoked. He told me that smoking would slow down and impede my recovery. That finally did it-I went cold turkey. It wasn't easy but I guess it was the right time for me. I think that's what it takes - the right time and being ready to commit to it. I'd tried several times prior to that and had continued failure. If you fail, keep trying. Another idea came from hubby-a friend of his smoked heavily for years and couldn't stop. A few months ago, he tried hypnosis and hasn't had a cigarette since. Everyone's path is different --- you'll find yours ---- just keep trying. And remember, we're all here for you.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:07 PM
MVP

Krissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIPKrissy is a MBB VIP

I've never smoked but my husband does and i'm going to pass all this good advice onto him.. I want him to stay around for awhile.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

I have never smoked and I'm glad I never had that addiction.
Just watching my young neighbor, who was a heavy smoker since age 10, die of lung cancer would be enough to stop me.
Maybe you should visit an oncology floor.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Karen is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to allKaren is a name known to all

Don't give in to the urge to buy them. If you don't buy any, you won't have any. Do stuff that is not compatible with smoking. Jump rope, jog, take a shower, brush your teeth. Air out your house and get some scented candles. Start appreciating the new, clean scent of your hair and clothes. Don't drink alcohol. It will only make you want one more and you won't have as much willpower. Think about your future grandkids. You want to be around as long as possible to enjoy them.

Healthy Lung

Cancer Infected Lung
Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Wink There is still hope!

There are some good statistics for those of us who stop smoking....

If you quit smoking Jan. 1, 2006, and stick to your guns, here's how your health can improve over the next few years:

Jan. 2, 2006; Your chance of having a heart attack decreases; oxygen and carbon monoxide levels in blood return to normal.

Jan. 3 to Dec.31, 2006; Lung function increases up to 30 percent and excess risk of coronary heart disease is cut in half.

Jan. 1, 2011; (just five years smoke free) On average, your risk of death from lung cancer decreases by almost half, as does risk of mouth and throat cancer.

Jan. 1, 2016; (after ten years smoke free) Precancerous cells are replaced, and the lung cancer death rate becomes similar to that of nonsmokers.

Jan. 1, 2021; (after fifteen smoke free years) Your risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker.

It's never too late to stop or cut back and you'll see good results almost immediately ..

Lori Ann

Sources for above were the American Cancer Society and the CDC
Old 04-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Big Buddy

Lori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special memberLori Ann is a special member
Wink 6 Stupid Health Mistakes; Are you ignoring your own?

5. You Ignore Aches and Pains
If you're knee-deep in caring for kids, managing a household, and holding down a job, you may be quick to brush off a nagging cough, back twinge, or bout of indigestion. You may think fatigue is your natural state. You shouldn't ignore any of those symptoms. Three years ago, Stephanie Goldner, a 37-year-old mother of four, went to work despite waking up with what felt like a bad case of indigestion. "I had to get to work," she says. "I had a deadline." But as soon as her colleagues at Baptist Hospital in Miami took one look at her, they sent her to the emergency room. There, she learned that her bad indigestion was actually a heart attack.

Why didn't she just stay in bed that morning? Her answer will probably sound familiar. "Even when you feel awful, you have things to do," Goldner says. "I really don't have time to coddle myself over a cold or heartburn."

And there's the irony: Although women tend to go to doctors more often than men, and though they're the caretakers for everyone from grandparents to the pet parakeet, they're least likely to take care of themselves, says Diana Dell, MD, assistant professor of obstetrics-gynecology and psychiatry at Duke University Medical Center. "Personal wellness and preventive care always take a backseat to caring for someone else."

Research suggests that some women will ignore even crushing fatigue and pain, symptoms that in a partner or child would send them scurrying for a doctor's appointment.

For example, a study of 1,725 US and Canadian women with ovarian cancer--one of the deadliest cancers because it's often not caught until it has advanced--found that nearly all had symptoms before they were diagnosed, but about half ignored them for more than 3 months before finally seeing a doctor. (Those symptoms included bloating, abdominal or pelvic pain, and bleeding.)

Likewise, many women who suffer heart attacks have symptoms such as unusual fatigue and shortness of breath as long as a month beforehand, says a new study that looked at 515 recently diagnosed women. And while some report their symptoms to a doctor, a significant number don't, says lead researcher Jean McSweeney, PhD, RN, of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. "It's about fifty-fifty," she says. "Some of the women in our study who didn't go to their doctors attributed their symptoms to getting older. Others delayed seeking treatment because they were waiting for the symptoms to either get worse or go away."

In addition to ignoring warning signs, women can't seem to find time for routine maintenance. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women, yet 40 percent of women over 40 haven't had a mammogram in the past year, says Debbie Saslow, director of Breast and Gynecologic Cancer at the American Cancer Society. Women over 40 should have a routine screening annually. Similarly, up to 15 percent of vulnerable women have not had a Pap test to screen for cervical cancer in the past 3 years.

The Fix
Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of serious illness, know your risk factors, report anything unusual immediately, and don't let anything get in the way of regular screening tests, which can often detect problems when they're still small and treatable.

Goldner now says her heart attack was a wake-up call to take better care of her health. She quit smoking and lost 60 pounds. She advises other women to pay attention if they don't feel well. "Don't cruise along and hope that things will get better," she says. "At some point you have got to make yourself a priority."

Reprint from Prevention Magazine 2006

Lori Ann
Old 04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Big Buddy

Michele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on upMichele is movin' on up

While I've been going to several doctors for my different ailments, I continued to feel badly and got worse. As some of you know, I was very recently diagnosed diabetic. Not one of the probably four different doctors picked up on this, even though I've had symptoms for some time.

I suggest being very vocal with your doctor. Make lists of things you might notice have changed or if something feels different than it used to. It never hurts to ask, but it might if don't.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Big Buddy

Wink

That is very scary that it took so long for you to get diagnosed! I think you gave very good advice about not being afraid to communicate with your Doctor ..

Lori Ann
Old 04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
While I've been going to several doctors for my different ailments, I continued to feel badly and got worse. As some of you know, I was very recently diagnosed diabetic. Not one of the probably four different doctors picked up on this, even though I've had symptoms for some time.

I suggest being very vocal with your doctor. Make lists of things you might notice have changed or if something feels different than it used to. It never hurts to ask, but it might if don't.

I agree...if you don't speak up no one will.
I have found that patients will talk to a Nurse so I make a point that when the Doc comes in I inform him of everything even if a patient thinks "it's no big deal"
Old 04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Big Buddy

Emmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIPEmmie is a MBB VIP

Great Forum, This year I started exercising every other day on my treadmill, no matter what, it is just as important as work, errands, and all the other crazy things we all have to do each day, I also take my vitamins eat healthy meals, very little meat maybe 4 ozs every other week, fish twice a week, whole wheat pasta, love salads make a meal out of them with a small wheat pocket bread, lunch is always light yougurt, a piece of fruit, and rice cake, with plenty of water during the day. I dont eat chicken,turkey or pork at all, so it is somewhat of a challenge for meal ideas but It works, I always eat breakfast a bowl of whole grain cereal, or oatmeal and 4 oz of orange juice. And as Lori said know when to see your Dr. I have my yearly check up, mammogram, pap smear, blood work twice a year, anything out of the ordinary I dont wait, I lost my brother last year (the baby of the family age 48 to lung cancer yes he did smoke, also my father to lung cancer age 47 that was 30 years ago (that is the day I never smoked again) I wish my brother had stopped. So please dont put off getting your check ups and discussing anything with your Dr even though you may think it is nothing get it checked out. Peace to All