Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP
Default Which Retail Site Is Best for Shoppers?

No doubt you've heard about the fierce price wars between Amazon.com and Wal-Mart over best-selling books, and perhaps you took advantage of them to snag your copy of "Going Rogue" for just $9. But promotional stunts aside, who offers the best prices and selections among the online retail giants? I decided to find out by pitting Amazon, eBay and Wal-Mart against one another in a fast-paced, online shopping competition—the Common Sense holiday challenge.
Of course, the nature of online shopping makes pinpointing the best deal a lot like hitting a moving target. The prices listed here represent a survey of the landscape when we last checked on Tuesday.
Round one: Toys. Lego's Knights Kingdom Royal Castle building set. Amazon offered a huge selection of the Lego Knights line; the featured item was available for $165.91 in a sale that qualified for free shipping, and third-party vendors listed the item for as low as $149.98. EBay also offered a wide selection, and many slightly used offerings up for bid. The cheapest Knights Kingdom set offered on the "buy it now" option was $136.95.
Wal-Mart didn't have the Knights Kingdom, but it did offer the Trolls' Dark Fortress, which appears to be identical to the Trolls' Mountain Fortress on Amazon and eBay. Wal-Mart's price was $94.88, although it was out of stock online. At Amazon it was $99.90, with offerings as low as $91.49; on eBay it was $99.99. Score: 10 points each for Amazon and eBay, none for Wal-Mart.
Round two: Home appliances. Breville Ikon 610-watt blender. Some cooks swear by the looks and performance of Australia's Breville appliances. Amazon offered this model for $149.99; on eBay it was $149.95, with reconditioned models from the manufacturer as low as $82.99. I came up empty-handed at Wal-Mart, which had no Breville offerings, though I did stumble on a Blendtec Connoisseur model at the eye-popping price of $649.95. I found the same model on eBay for $649.50 and on Amazon for $616.15. Score: 10 points for Amazon, 10 for eBay and none for Wal-Mart.
Round three: Movies and TV. "Mad Men," DVDs, all three seasons. OK, the Emmy-winning TV series is the gift I want for myself. On Amazon, the complete three-season set was $76.47 (that's $26.49 for season one, $17.99 for two and $31.99 for the recently completed season three on pre-order). Seasons one and two together were $44.48. On eBay, seasons one and two together were offered at $54.01, and there were plenty of used DVDs at lower prices. At Wal-Mart, season one was $26.32 and season two $17.86, and a set of both was $44.18, all with free shipping. Score: Amazon 7, eBay 5, Wal-Mart 8.
The winner: Amazon, with a total score of 28. EBay was close behind at 25, and Wal-Mart lagged far behind at 8. Amazon won through a combination of price and availability. When it was undercut on price, it was usually by a negligible amount. But eBay fared surprisingly well. It offered slightly used or reconditioned models at steep discounts, as well as many bidding opportunities. The site offers a viable alternative to Amazon on most new items. If my experiment is indicative, Wal-Mart needs a lot more than cheap bestsellers to challenge Amazon.

BONUS

Last edited by Krissy : 12-11-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

I absolutely turn to amazon first, and then comparison shop, and then usually go back to amazon. I have to have PRIME since I order so often and live in such a dinky town.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer

All of your "Online Bargain" posts have gotten me hooked too! I have ordered lots of presents there this year.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Big Buddy

beanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIPbeanie is a MBB VIP

thanks for this info. I usually go to amazon, but for books, I try hamiltonbooks.com first.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

amazon is the best!

BUT check your prices. They play games...
Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 AM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

thanks for the post, i like amazon too
Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie View Post
thanks for this info. I usually go to amazon, but for books, I try hamiltonbooks.com first.

Amazon now buys books back. Free return shipping label to print. Just drop in mailbox. I trade mine for GC's rather than cash.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Amazon.

I do like free ship and. 5% off everything at target with their red card.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Big Buddy

mom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributermom2acat is a wonderful contributer

Amazon for me too. I do Swagbucks, and a few other survey sites to earn Amazon gift cards. I got my Kindle the Christmas of 2010, and I've used gift cards to pay for all of the books I've downloaded for it. I do get other things to from there sometimes, like paperbacks, hardcovers, and movies.

“Books, Cats, Life is Good.” ~Edward Gorey