Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Healthy Living
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP
Default Waiting hours to see a doctor, and patients billing physicians for lost time

After waiting hours to see the doctor for a 2-minute visit, some patients have resorted to giving a bill to their physician.

It sounds extreme, but economist Alan Krueger writes that the cost of patient waiting, estimated to be $240 billion in 2007, is neglected when considering the cost of health care.

I'll be the first to admit that many doctors do not appropriately value patient time, and, under normal circumstances, there is no excuse for a physician to run more than 30 minutes behind.

I concur with Mr. Krueger when he writes, "The time that patients spend seeking, receiving and paying for health care services is just as real as the dollars they spend for medical services."

However, patient time is not valued by the physician compensation system. Doctors are incentivized to see as many patients, and do as many procedures, as possible.

If doctors were allowed to bill for time, as lawyers do, I suspect you will see a much greater value and respect for patients' time.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
. . .

However, patient time is not valued by the physician compensation system. Doctors are incentivized to see as many patients, and do as many procedures, as possible.

If doctors were allowed to bill for time, as lawyers do, I suspect you will see a much greater value and respect for patients' time.
HUZZAH! I think it's an EXCELLENT IDEA, particularly for working people (and who can even afford to see a doctor if they aren't employe WITH a good insurance plan?) I've waited for hours for my orthopedist EVERY. TIME. I. GO! I'm sick of an hour's wait for a 10 minute visit. I have to use up my sick leave or vacation time in order to see him because he doesn't work on my off day (Friday), or I have to make up the time (as I did last week) on my normal day off! Why shouldn't he compensate me for my time? I PAY HIM for his!

BTW, I actually thought that HMOs rewarded doctors for NOT seeing patients or doing procedures.