Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP
Default Mary Hunt's "Out of the Dark Tunnel and into the Sunshine"

Mary Hunt has been there and back. She currently writes about money, debt and debt proof living. I've shared things from her with y'all from time to time. From this article, which I wanted to share with you, it appears that she has DETERMINED to maintain a positive attitude in the face of today's economy. Perhaps we can challenge ourselves to attempt to do the same.

Quote:
Recently on my way to the office, I conducted an impromptu inspection of my little world in Southern California. Despite all the threatening headlines and doom-filled stories of the day, everything was going on just about as it has for a very long time.

I didn’t see any For Sale signs in my neighborhood and there were no fewer cars on the freeway. Schools were bustling with kids and teachers, restaurants were backed up for seating and the sun was shining.

Over the past few months, I’ve received the same email message more times than I care to count. It goes like this:

“Due to recent economic crises, the stock market crash, budget cuts, rising unemployment, unstable world conditions, outsourcing of business, the cost of insurance, electricity, petroleum and taxes of all kinds, we regret to advise you that the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

I guess that’s supposed to be funny. What makes me cranky is that millions of people believe it. Through no fault of their own, they believe their lives are now intolerable and their futures are doomed to failure while they sit paralyzed in a dark tunnel. They’ve become victims of The Recession.

It is a fact that the national economy of the U.S. is in a downturn, and economists say we are now in a recession. I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention to what’s going on in California, but it’s not pretty. Whether this recession is worse than any since the Great Depression is not certain. What we do know is that we still have 93 percent employment. Out of more than 10,000 banks in the U.S., fewer than 25 went under in 2008, and another 14 so far this year. Still that leaves 9,060 bank open today.

Sure, some national retailers have closed up shop and undoubtedly others will follow, but that’s nothing new. It’s a sure bet that we will not be facing a shortage of stores anytime soon.

This is certainly not to underestimate or diminish what many of my readers are facing now in the wake of job layoffs and challenging times. Just don’t blame the economy or feel sorry for yourself. This is life. Life happens. Perhaps you can begin to see that as a good thing. Think of it as an untimed opportunity to start your own business, change careers or move to another area. These days ahead are going to give us amazing opportunities to reach out and encourage one another. Great opportunities often come disguised as crises—I believe that even more today than I did 17 years ago last January when in the midst of one of the worst recessions the U.S. has endured, I did the unthinkable and started a subscription newsletter called Cheapskate Monthly (subsequently changed to Debt-Proof Living). That decision went on to change my life and thousands of others’ lives too, in ways I could not possibly enumerate

I am learning these days that there is something called a survivor temperatment—a mentality shared by those of us who would rather shove toothpicks under our fingernails than to allow circumstances to get the best of us. We simply refuse to give up or to give in. We’re tenacious, creative and we choose carefully our thoughts. Living where I do (you did read “California” a few sentences above, right?) I do have my choice of some pretty horribly negative things to dwell on, but I’m not going to do it. I refuse to let all of that pull me down and suck me in.

Today, I am renewing my commitment to focus on only those things that are true, honorable, fair, just, pure, acceptable and lovely. I absolutely refuse to get stuck in some dark tunnel where failure is the only option. That’s why I’ve backed my train out of the tunnel and into the bright sunshine of optimism. I’ve plotted my detour, my boilers are stoked and steam is pouring through my engines. It’s full speed ahead.

Are you with me?
http://www.moneyrulesdebtstinks.com/?p=451#more-451

I think I will make a commitment to stand with Mary Hunt and focus only "on those things that are true, honorable, fair, just, pure, acceptable and lovely." I know my rose-colored glasses may "fade to black" before the day is out, certainly before the week is over, but perhaps I can influence others with my positive attitude for just a little while.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Big Buddy

gayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIPgayle is a MBB VIP

I agree..............
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

i agree too
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer

Well, Amen Sister!!! Very well-spoken Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Big Buddy

tressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud oftressa_4 has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure I'd find it easier if I lived in Southern California, but I'll try Mag.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tressa_4 View Post
I'm pretty sure I'd find it easier if I lived in Southern California, but I'll try Mag.
Weather and sunshine, SoCal has in abundance, and those factors definitely affect our attitudes, sweetie, but then so does the economy, and I think California has hit some pretty dark days and rough weather as far as the economy is concerned.

I'm uncertain exactly who said it, but let's try to take the advice of "anonymous" and Bloom where we're planted!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Big Buddy

mlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on upmlbrjb is movin' on up

Mary Hunt's glass is half full....I love it!! I try to live my life the same way. I think she is a breath of fresh air and has sound advice.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Big Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrjb View Post
Mary Hunt's glass is half full....I love it!! I try to live my life the same way. I think she is a breath of fresh air and has sound advice.
I very much agree with that assessment! You know, they say that we get back what we dish out and Mary Hunt seems to believe that and I can't disagree. Wish I had some cash to dish out!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

I admire her optimism.........
Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Big Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I admire her optimism.........
I admire your determination, Christine! Keep a smile on (people will wonder what you've been up to!)