Following are some tips on living happily ever after ... divorce!
1) Always remember the lifelong commitment you made to the other person; honor your original commitment to that person’s happiness, especially if you have children.
2) However bitter the divorce was ... forgiveness is the first—and most important—step to creating your new happy, single life.
3) Never say anything negative to your children about the other parent. It only adds stress to their life as well as yours—who needs all that toxic energy?
4) Take time to grieve.
5) Do something out of the ordinary and wonderful for yourself and your family ... and this is the hard part—your ex!
6) Keep in mind that it does not HAVE to be a nasty divorce—it can be a “good” one. BE FAIR in your dealings with your ex. COMPROMISE.
7) Form a good support team with your friends and family, read uplifting books.
8) Control your negative emotions—the old practice of counting to ten and biting your tongue is never more important than now.
9) Get professional help if you feel you need it.
10) Continue to tell yourself that “This too shall pass” and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel—happiness is around the corner. My motto has always been ... move forward never back! I try to live with this in mind every day.
Some people think that it’s holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it’s letting go.