Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Recipe Swap
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP
Default Food Related Info

I've often had information related to food or recipes that I wanted to share, but had no place to put it. Well, I've decided to make a place to solve that problem and this is it! First entry was a total surprise to me!

EMERGENCY INTERRUPTION: SCARY SALAD SIGHTING!

We don't know what they're putting in that seemingly light salad dressing that comes on the Garden-Fresh Salad, but we disapprove. One serving of the bottomless staple salad with dressing has 350 calories and 26g fat (POINTS® value 9*)! Don't worry -- we've got your back. Request a portion sans salad dressing, and you'll shave off 230 calories and 22.5g fat. Ditch the croutons, and you'll be down to a slim 70 calories and 1.5g fat (POINTS® value 1*). Then ask for one of these dressings on the side: Low Fat Italian or Low Fat Parmesan-Peppercorn. That's more like it...

. . .ALSO. . .

EMERGENCY INTERRUPTION: BREAKING BREADSTICK NEWS!

You know those baskets of breadsticks that just keep showing up at your table at Olive Garden? Well, one breadstick has 150 calories and 2g fat (POINTS® value 3*)... and that's just the buttery stick itself. (Who doesn't dunk?!) The Alfredo dipping sauce has 380 calories and 35g fat per dish, and a dish of the marinara has 70 calories and 2.5g fat. We recommend avoiding this stuff, unless you have an implausible amount of self-control. Otherwise, you're likely to inhale 500 calories before your beverage hits the table. If your friends are cool with it, ask the waiter not to bring the bread.

This comes from: http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Last edited by MagiePerdu : 04-08-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Big Buddy

MagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIPMagiePerdu is a MBB VIP
Default Ever Eaten a Ramp?

Although I've heard of ramps, they aren't something I make a habit of seeking out and I just barely knew what they were. . .enlightening info from TIME http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...wsletter-daily

Quote:
Have you ever found yourself saying, "Ah, a fine spring day at last! I wish I had a ramp to gnaw on!"

No? Then you're unlike many, many chefs and green-market enthusiasts around the country, who constitute the Church of the Ramp. Of course, they don't really gnaw on raw ramps, also known as wild leeks; they pickle them, char them and do a million other artful things with the onion-like stalk, the first green vegetable of spring in much of North America. There is no shortage of enthusiasts, both at home and in restaurants; after all, the Church of the Ramp is one of the fastest-growing denominations in the religion of seasonality.
(I'd be afraid I'd pick something like lillly of the valley (which has similar looking leaves) and is lovely, but poisonous! We have lovely short-stalked white-flowering bulbs that pop up and cover our lawn every spring (they're out now). . .the S.O. tells me they're wild garlic. . .I've tasted them and found they had little flavor - either going down OR COMING UP!)

However, in case you are adventurous and/or lucky enough to be able to have them growing in your own back yard and smart enough to be able to identify them...here's a recipe for you:

Makes Two servings:

8-10 stalks of fresh asparagus
4- 6 ramps
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or butter
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Remove the woody bases of the asparagus and cut stalks into 2 inch pieces.

Trim the roots from the ramps and cut them just above the bulbs, leaving the
bulbs whole. Slice the stems into 2 inch pieces up to the leaves. Roll the leaves
and slice across at ½ inch intervals. Set the leaves aside.

Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat, and, when hot, add the olive oil or
butter. Sauté the asparagus and ramps until the asparagus is bright green and
slightly softened; do not overcook. Add the reserved leaves and toss to mix
over the heat for about one minute. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve
immediately, drizzling with a small volume of uncooked extra virgin olive oil.

Sautéing asparagus takes minutes to cook it to a tender but slightly firm texture, preserving flavor which leeches out into the water if asparagus is boiled. It can be a special treat to have ramps, but versatile asparagus prepared this ways goes very well with garlic and other members of the onion family, as well and with mushrooms and even fiddle heads (another bit of an oddity to this Oklahoman via Texas and the west coast).

A light squeeze of lemon juice at the end is optional in any preparation.

Last edited by MagiePerdu : 04-13-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Big Buddy

Default Get Nutty!

All nuts are rich in vitamin E, magnesium, protein, and fiber, but these picks go beyond that.

PISTACHIOS
1 OZ./49 NUTS
158 calories, 13 g fat 3 g fiber
Pistachios are high in cholesterol-lowering plant sterols and have more potassium than most nuts (291 mg per ounce).

ALMONDS
1 OZ./23 NUTS
163 calories, 14 g fat, 4 g fiber
One ounce provides half your daily vitamin E—more than any other nut. It also supplies 8 percent of your daily calcium needs.

HAZELNUTS
1 OZ./21 NUTS
178 calories, 17 g fat, 3 g fiber
These are rich in iron and proanthocyanidins, antioxidants that strengthen blood vessels and prevent UTIs.

WALNUTS
1 OZ./14 HALVES
185 calories, 18 g fat, 2 g fiber
Walnuts deliver the most omega-3 fatty acids and contain the antioxidant ellagic acid, which supports the immune system.

BRAZIL NUTS
1 OZ./6 NUTS
186 calories, 19 g fat, 2 g fiber
A single Brazil nut provides your daily dose of selenium, an antioxidant that may play a role in preventing breast cancer.