Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Help Me
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
New Buddy

jval0524 is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation I'm starting almost completely over...

I am going through a divorce & have just now been able to get a place of my own (been living with people, renting a room, etc). I have to buy everything (washer/dryer, couch, kitchen table, etc, etc, etc). Can any of you help me with finding the best money-saving deals? I would prefer stores I can actually go to, but am running low on options. Please...any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Big Buddy

NonieBaloney is a special memberNonieBaloney is a special member

I would see if there was a FreeCycle group near me (try www.freecycle.org) . Sometimes people give away really nice things. Good luck on this new phase in your life! Trina
Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Little Buddy

mdrd is a jewel in the rough
Default hopefully helpful

It is coming into yardsale season. Perhaps you can find a nice table/chairs and solid pieces of furniture at a nice neighborhood yardsale. Maybe not a nice couch or something since fabrics absorb and who knows what that owner may have subjected it to before trying to sell it. Also try Craigslist. If you have them meet you at a grocery store or other public place, it can be safe. (I worked out a deal with my karate instructor: I have people meet me in the studio's parking lot during class times. )

I wish you the best.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer

I don't know what part of Arkansas you are from, but if you are close to any Armed Forces Base, (like Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport) families that are being transferred overseas are often getting rid of lots of things. The base closest to us has one day a month that they are allowed to hold yard sales and there are so many that you almost can't make them all in one day.

You might also put a note up on boards at grocery stores, local colleges or in the paper under "wanted to buy". You might also check scratch and dent or trade in sections of appliance stores.

As far as furniture, looks like the closest Ikea is Dallas, but it might be worth the trip with a U-Haul. They have great stuff at bargain prices. You can also order from them.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

Be creative and re-purpose things. Get a twin bed and use it as a couch during the day and as a bed at night. When you can afford another bed, then you still have a couch or use it for guests. You can always use TV trays with chairs until you can get a table. Focus on the most important things first, like a fridge or stove. The Laundromat is a drag, but it beats not having a fridge.

I'm a decorator, so I know lots of ways to get more bang for your buck. PM me if you want more ideas.