Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Big Buddy

lionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributer
Default Tell Me I'm Not Crazy...Please (kinda long)

So, I have posted in that past telling you about the crappy job market here in Southeast Michigan, and that my husband has been laid off since November of last year.

Well we have come up with a plan that will hopefully (God willing) give us a leg to stand on again and get us employed in a decent career.

We are going back to college to finish our degrees. I have an associate degree in business, but it is not getting me anywhere so I am going to fine-tune it to a bachelor degree in health administration (so I can get a job in a hospital, dr. office, etc) and my husband is getting his bachelor degree in education (so he can teach biology).

We will be moving to Big Rapids MI to attend Ferris State (where my son already is). We will be basically living off of student loans, grants, and part-time employment. The college offers nice all-inclusive townhouses to live at while you are attending classes, so that is where we will be residing for the next couple of years. They are not cheap, but is less than what we are paying now.

The question to all of you is, I am nuts to do this? My husband is 44 and I am 41, I just think we are too old to be doing this but we really do not have any other choice. Yes, my husband & I could attend a college closer to where we are currently living, but we can't live off of unemployment for the next two years; plus we really need to move from where we are (the neighborhood is going down the crapper). Big Rapids is a very nice small town, and I think we could be happy there ( or close by) after we get our degrees.
There are also many perks to attending classes and living in family housing, you get way more grant aid (money you do not have to pay back).

A good part of me says that we are doing the right thing, but a little part of me says we are crazy...what do you think?

I just thought I would be farther down the road by my age, I just did not see myself going back to college with my ten year old in tow. I thought I would have a house, a decent car; you know..the things that everyone else has. It just sucks being stuck.

Sorry its so long, but I had to get this off my chest. Thanks you so much my friends for listening to me...again
Old 05-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Big Buddy

NonieBaloney is a special memberNonieBaloney is a special member

I don't think you're crazy. I admire your guts and determination to get ahead. It's natural to feel unsettled about such a big change, but it seems like you've thought it all out. And where would you be in two years if you didn't do it? More power to you!

Trina
Old 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

Sounds like a plan to me. You are going to be getting older with or without a degree. Not "everyone" has a house and a decent car.

Maybe in the future you could consider jobs outside MI. We left after DH finished at U of Mich and never looked back. The economy there was too "iffy".
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Big Buddy

bikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIPbikerbabe is a MBB VIP

No one here think`s you are nut`s...im with
Mary...sound`s like A plan.....Good Luck in
whatever you decide
Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Big Buddy

Stubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud ofStubby has much to be proud of

I would go for it in a heartbeat. there isn't even anything here in the Thumb either. Kids and grandkids can't find jobs that aren't fast food and are at least 40 hours here.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Big Buddy

lionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributerlionsrule2004 is a wonderful contributer

Thanks everyone, I always feel so much better after I talk to all of you You are such great friends.

I guess I am just worried. I have never lived out of the county that I am in now. I have never moved this far from "home" before. My husband & I considered this move about five years ago, but I didn't want to move away from my Mom. My Mom has since passed away, and my family is capable of coming to visit (it is only about a 3 1/2 hr drive from here to there).
Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Mentor

Nan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributerNan is a wonderful contributer

An education is something that no one can ever take from you! Many people wouldn't be willing to pick up and start anew. They would rather complain and do nothing. I think it's beyond wonderful that you two are willing to continue to learn and expand your horizons! I know you won't regret the move.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Big Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
An education is something that no one can ever take from you! Many people wouldn't be willing to pick up and start anew. They would rather complain and do nothing. I think it's beyond wonderful that you two are willing to continue to learn and expand your horizons! I know you won't regret the move.
You don't think that it is crazy that we are both over 40 (that is the part I have the hardest time with)? We will be two of only 140 students that are over the age of 30 (full-time students), also we will be (by far) the oldest residents in family housing.

I am so unsure of this. Maybe I will feel better after this week, as we are going to visit Big Rapids to look at the townhouse and look at potential schools for my daughter; idk.

Thanks for listening...again
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Big Buddy

Tammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIPTammy is a MBB VIP

Good luck with this. Im sure your going to do fine.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

I think that this is a wonderful plan.
The thing the 2 of you have going for you is your family is grown and both of you will be returning to school together.
Being you will qualify for practically a free education between the both of you what is there to think about or be afraid of?
Seems to me the only thing holding you back is you and your lack of self confidence.