Online Clearance Shopping, Free Shipping, Online Sales and Coupons at MyBargainBuddy.com

Go Back   MyBargainBuddy Forums > Chit-Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP
0love0046 Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day, November 11, is the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice in the Forest of Campiegne, France, by the Allies and the Germans in 1918, which officially ended World War I. The signing took place in the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, and was said to end "the war to end all wars." (The United States had entered World War I on 6 April 1917, and on 4 October 1918 an appeal was made to President Woodrow Wilson by the German government for an armistice.)

This Armistice, which lasted one month and was renewed until the peace was signed, signified the end of World War I and the German surrender. This day, originally known as Armistice Day, was observed by Presidential Proclamation as a legal holiday in 1919.

In 1938 Congress passed a bill which stated each November 11 would be dedicated to world peace and celebrated as Armistice Day. However, after World War II, the day began to lose meaning. Since there were many other veterans to consider, veteran's groups decided to change November 11 to a day to honor all those who fought in American wars.

The first actual Veteran's Day observance was held in Emporia, Kansas on 11 November 1953. On 24 May 1954, Congress passed an act to change the name to Veteran's Day. This act was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on 1 June 1954. The day was officially set aside to pay tribute to all servicemen who fought in U.S. wars.

Generally the day is marked by ceremonies and speeches, and, at 11:00 in the morning, most Americans observe a moment of silence, remembering those who fought for peace. After the United States' involvement in the Vietnam War, the emphasis on holiday activities has shifted. There are fewer military parades and ceremonies. Veterans gather at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. to place gifts and stand quiet vigil at the names of their friends and relatives who fell in the Vietnam War. Families who have lost sons and daughters in wars turn their thoughts more toward peace and the avoidance of future wars. Veterans of military service have organized support groups such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. On Veterans' Day (and Memorial Day as well), these groups raise funds for their charitable activities by selling paper poppies made by disabled veterans. This bright red wildflower became a symbol of World War I after a bloody battle in a field of poppies called Flanders Field in Belgium (see below).
Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Big Buddy

hblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default Poppies

I sell every year for the VFW post I am an Auxillary lifetime member of. Though I am a Vet, I served during time of peace but was able to join under my father a WWII veteran. I make alot of $$ and have so much fun standing on the highway.

Me
Old 11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Admin

Christine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIPChristine is a MBB VIP

thanks for the info........a lot of vets and active members in my family
Old 11-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Big Buddy

grams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIPgrams1952 is a MBB VIP

My father was a vet and my hubby is too. Our local Golden Corral has a thank night.. serving vet and families a free meal..I think it is wonderful.. .
Old 11-03-2006, 09:56 PM
MVP

Kelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIPKelly is a MBB VIP

yay to our soldiers, past and present
Old 11-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Modemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIPModemouth is a MBB VIP

Old 11-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Big Buddy

pepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIPpepper60 is a MBB VIP